Nine

Kagome hummed as she started to mutter the words to the poem Sirius had taught her. It went with the runs. It was and old Norse poem.

I Know I hung on that windswept tree,

Swung there for nine long nights,

Wounded by my own blade,

Bloodied for Odin

Myself an offering to myself:

Bound to the tree

That no man knows

Whither the roots of it run.

None gave me bread,

None gave me drink.

Down to the deepest depths I peered

Until I spied the Runes.

With a roaring cry I seized them up.

Then dizzy and fainting, I fell.

Well, being I won.

And wisdom too.

I grew and took joy in my growth:

From a word to a word

I was led to a word,

From a deed another deed.

Sirius told her that poem was one of the main poems needed to be memorized in Runes. You also had to write what the meaning behind the poem meant.

Kagome didn't know all the meaning behind the poem, but she was thinking about it. She had a few more weeks to figure out the meaning.

"What was the other thing I needed to remember for runes..." Kagome muttered as she tapped her fingers on the dirt ground.

"hmmm, runic magic as the active principle as opposed to passive interpretations based on runic divination. He held that runic magic is more active than the allegedly shamanic practice of seid practiced by the Seiðkona. Runic magic, uses the runes to affect the world outside based on the archetypes they represent...or something along those lines..." Kagome sighed, she was bored. The dementors weren't that active today, or at least where she was they weren't.

The other things she had learned were more...interesting. She loved runes...but they gave her a headache from time to time. She rather enjoyed the theories for Potions and Defence. She did like the thoughts of Charms too.

Kagome sighed, she wished she could have a wand...that she could lean the thing parents teach children at home when they are her age.

She was still not old enough to go to the schools...if she was able to go, but she knew if her father was there she would have learned lots of things.

Kagome would have learned things that she would probably never get to know.

Closing her eyes Kagome started to drift to sleep, her mind on things she knew she would never have...though she silently wished she did.

Her hope for escaping Azkaban was starting to leave...and the hope was turned to anger and depression.