𝑠𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛

Arriving at Jamie's house I'm nervous, we've been officially a couple for a month but I'm nervous for a completely different reason today. He wants me to come over for dinner to meet his kids properly. I've met them a few times but it's only ever been in passing, tonight we're sitting down for a takeaway to give us all the chance to bond. I never want to come across as trying to replace their mum, I know I'll never be her but I think it would be nice if I got along with them. Climbing out of my car I take a deep breath before walking to the front door, usually I'd bring a bottle of wine when I'm meeting someone however that's hardly appropriate.

"You're early" Jamie says opening the door placing a kiss on my lips. He seems a lot more relaxed than I ever expected him being "how was Cape Town?"

"Incredible as always. We landed back around 6 yesterday morning, I'm actually surprised you remember where I went"

"It's only because I'm jealous you went to South Africa without me" following Jamie to the kitchen I realise the boys aren't there which I'm slightly relieved about purely because it gives me a few moments alone with Jamie.

"I mean I'm sorry for going to work without you" I say jokingly rolling my eyes "if it makes you feel better the flights weren't as good as when you flew home"

"You'll never have a flight like that again" laughing with Jamie I can't believe the ego on this man, it never ends "I'll give the boys a shout and we can eat"

"So you decided a takeaway was the best option?" I ask knowing what the answer will be. He tries but Jamie's a terrible cook.

"I think you know the answer to that" sitting at the table I wait for Charley and Beau. I have no idea how this dinner will end, I'm hoping I can win over the boys. I'd even be happy if they can deal with me being around.

At first I feel awkward. What do you talk to a ten and fifteen year old about? I might have brothers but they're all older then me, I hardly think the conversations will be remotely alike. Thankfully Jamie takes control of the whole evening and I've never felt so grateful. I don't know how the boys are feeling but I feel relieved.

"Ellie I have a question if that's okay?" Beau asks and I can tell he's still relatively shy around me.

"You can ask me anything Beau" I want to be as open as I can with Jamie and his kids, if that means an interrogation I'll go through it.

"What football team do you support?" I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't that. In a way it's a relief.

"I've always been a Liverpool fan. I try to go up north as much as I can to watch the games with my dad and brothers"

"That's so cool! Dad did you know that?" Beau asks Jamie and I can see the excitement in his face.

"I did know that. Why do you think I like her so much?"

"I'd hope for more than the football team she supports" Charley joins in with the witty remark making me and Jamie both laugh.

"I think that goes without saying but the football team helps" Jamie laughs with Charley "couldn't imagine bringing an Everton fan home to you boys"

"Ellie can you come over for my birthday? Dad said we're going to sort a party at home" the innocence of Beau melts my heart, in my head the boys were going to be standoffish with me and it's the complete opposite. I couldn't feel more welcome if they tried.

"I'd love to be there Beau and if I'm not working I'll definitely be there" it might seem like a big commitment to make a promise to a soon to be eleven year old but I'm ready for it.

"It's still a few weeks away yet Beau. Ellie could be on the other side of the world but regardless we'll have a good time" I don't know if Jamie is trying to pre-warn Beau so he isn't disappointed if I can't make it or if he's reassuring me.