Chapter Six: The Hashira Meeting

Giyuu listened attentively to Oyakata-sama's words, along with the other Hashira. Even the usually distracted Muichiro was focused. 

     "It is no secret that the number of casualties that are the result of man-eating demons have increased greatly during the past few years. Kibutsuji has grown much more powerful, and an Upper Rank Demon being defeated is quite rare indeed. As you all know, our very own Flame Hashira, Kyojuro Rengoku, has passed away at the hands of one."

    His voice was filled with pain, and it made Giyuu's heart drop to his toes. "Many of the lower-ranked slayers are not yet experienced, which means that the Hashira must take on more missions, honing your skills to perfection. I apologize for asking so much of you, but I have no choice. If only I could become a Demon Slayer to support you....it is one of my greatest regrets." Oyakata-sama sighed, and continued. 

   "I have decided to divide you into groups of two, based on the best-performing partnerships. Most, if not all, of your missions will be together. This, I hope, will aid you as you take on many more missions than you have taken on before." "Muichiro and Tengen. Sanemi and Gyomei. Obanai and Mitsuri. Shinobu and Giyuu. These are the groups I have decided on. If any of you have objections, please do not hesitate."

     No one said a word, until the silence was broken by Tengen, who said in his booming voice,"Your wish is our command, Master. Please do not burden yourself. We vow to work harder than we ever have, and make you proud."

    Oyakata-sama's lips curved into a smile. "You already have, my children. You already have." The meeting was dismissed soon after, and Giyuu started to walk towards home, pondering why Oyakata-sama would ever think he and Shinobu were a good partnership, before he heard a voice behind him. "Tomioka-san!" Kochou. He didn't turn but stopped and waited for her to catch up, her hands on her knees as she panted.

    When she caught her breath, she straightened and gave him a closed-eyes smile. "Looks like we'll have lots of missions together, right?" She came all the way here to tell him that? Giyuu nodded, his head turned to the side. Shinobu frowned. "Tomioka-san, do you dislike me?" The question caught Giyuu off guard, and he looked at her, puzzled, and said, "No. Why would you think that?"

      Kochou shrugged. "You're always avoiding me, and you seemed a little angry when Oyakata-sama said that we were partners for the next few missions." She was smiling a little and her gaze was lingering on the ground, but Giyuu could sense the hurt in her voice. 

     "I'm sorry I annoy you so much, but it's only because you're fun to tease," she said without giving him a chance to reply. "I know I'm not very helpful in battle because I'm the only Hashira who is too weak to decapitate a demon, and I'm sorry I'm such a burden all the time. Sorry, I should stop. Umm....see you next mission."

     She turned and started walking away, leaving Giyuu baffled. Dislike her? He'd never meant to hurt her feelings. Wasn't he like that with everyone? And he was fun to tease? What had she meant by that? Suddenly, he realized this was the first time she'd ever expressed her true emotions in front of him. Her smile was a mask she hid behind to hide her insecure self. She thought she was weak. However, the fact that she had trusted him to tell him that, it filled him with a feeling that he couldn't describe.

     Her words replayed in his head. "I know I'm not very helpful in battle because I'm the only Hashira who is too weak to decapitate a demon, and I'm sorry I'm such a burden all the time." She thought she was a burden?

    Before he could stop himself, he called out, "Kochou!" She turned, blinking back tears from her eyes and pasting a smile on her face again. Giyuu looked at the ground, fumbling for words. The phrase tumbled from his lips, feeling like the only natural thing to say, which left her with a shocked expression. "You are not a burden."

Sorry that it's a short chapter, but I think these two are finally getting somewhere. Anyway, please vote and comment if you want to see more of GiyuuShino.