Chapter Fifteen:

"Hmm....that's the fifth time. And that was no good either. It didn't work." "It's getting less and less effective. How many more times can you make poison?" Shinobu was breathing hard; the air seemed to thin, and he was getting on her nerves. "Oh, are you having trouble breathing?" he asked, almost like he actually cared. But she knew it was mockery. "You're sweating a lot. Are you alright?" Why the hell do you act like you care?  "That's because your lungs are dying. Hard, huh? A moment ago, my blood demon art sucked your blood. It turned your frozen blood to mist, and my fans scattered it. Breathing itself is now dangerous for you." Shinobu was barely listening. I'll use multiple attacks to inject a large dose! Insect Breathing: Dance of the Dragonfly, Compound Eye Hexagon! At the same time, the Doma managed to stab her. Shit. A thousand daggers seemed to stab through her. She collapsed forward, blood gushing from her wound.

     "You should have cut my head off instead of using poison," Doma taunted. "If you're that fast, you might have beaten me. Aww....maybe not. Because you're small." Shinobu's eyes widened. Small. Weak. Frail. Blood dripped onto her hand. Why are my hands so small? Why didn't I grow taller? If I had been just a little taller....I might have taken the demon's head and defeated him. Arms....and legs. The longer they are, the more muscle they have....which is an advantage, but....Kanae was delicate, but she was taller than me.

     I envy Himejima-san. When he comes to the rescue, everybody breathes easy. I know....what she was going to say. Nee-san. "But perhaps you....will lose to that demon." She started to say that but stopped.

     Hot tears welled in her eyes. Suddenly, she heard her sister's firm voice. "Pull yourself together. I won't allow you to cry." Nee-san? Shinobu looked up. It was her. Her beautiful, lilac eyes. "Stand up," she commanded. I've lost so much blood, I can't stand. My left lung is punctured....and I can't breathe. "That doesn't matter. Stand up. Insect Hashira Shinobu Kochou." Tears fell from her eyes. "Once you decide to defeat a demon, defeat it. Once you decide to win, then win. Win, whatever the cost. You made that promise with me and Kanao, didn't you?"

     Kanao....."Sorry, sorry. It wasn't a thorough cut, so you're suffering," Doma said, but his voice sounded as if she was underwater. Kanae's voice came clearer. "Shinobu, you can do this," she said, tears in her own eyes as she touched her head to Shinobu's and put her arms around her shoulders. "So do your best."

     Then, she was gone. But Shinobu followed her orders. It took all her effort not to cry out as she forced her burning lungs to work a little more. Her body to stand up, just a little longer. "Huh? You can stand? You're standing? Wow....are you really human?" "I cut your collarbone, lung, and ribs, but....for your size and that much blood loss, I'm shocked you're not dead." His neck. If I can stab his neck, I can win. Shinobu sprinted across the room, her legs flying as she ran the fastest she ever had.

     With a shrill battle cry, she drove the sword, dripping in the tiger-lily hybrid poison, into his neck. She watched with satisfaction as his eyes widened in shock, and he began to disintegrate. Relief. That was the feeling that flooded her as her knees finally gave in, and she fell to the ground. She had killed him. Doma was dead. She could die in peace now. Except....for one person. Whom she had promised that she would return. 

     Her heart ached more painfully now than her wounds. She had thought she didn't care if she died, but now she realized, the feeling that lived inside all humans was still burning inside her too....the desire to live. Giyuu....I'm sorry.

Please don't hate me! If you want to see the next chapter, please vote and comment below. Author-san out.