Alternate Ending-Chapter 16:

"Shinobu," he whispered. Those long, black lashes framed his beautiful ocean blue orbs. Blurred with tears. His shattered expression wounded her more than the katana that had pierced her lung. Her lips turned up in a small smile at the sight of him. "Tomioka-san."

"I'll go get the Kakushi. We can still make it to Butterfly Mansion-" He sounded desperate.

She shook her head. "My lung is punctured, and he's sliced my spine. I-I have little time."

Shinobu had not known that the Water Hashira could cry until now. Tears swirled in his eyes. He lowered his head, silent sobs racking through his body. "Ara ara, Tomioka-san," she joked weakly. "Worried about me?" Giyuu didn't respond. "You can't get rid of this mosquito that easily, so don't cry."

He nodded, unable to speak through his tears. Gently, he lifted her onto his lap. Shinobu gasped as the movement set fire to her wounds.

Giyuu quickly let go of her, guilt lining his features. "It's okay," she whispered before he could say anything. She leaned against his chest and closed her eyes, exhausted. Willpower had kept her going, in the hopes to see him, one last time. Now, the energy had drained from even the tips of her fingers. He wrapped an arm around her gingerly, and she mustered what was left of her energy to turn and take in his image, trying not to wince at the wrenching pain it caused her just to draw air. "I'm sorry," she said softly. For not telling him. For hurting him. He shook his head, his hand around her tightening.

Giyuu leaned down, his midnight hair brushing her cheek. In his tender way, he molded his soft lips to hers. Their fingers entwined, his hand twice the size of hers. Faint salt from his tears, a trace of his curious scent; the morning after rain, dew clinging to plants. The kiss held a finality, and both the Hashira understood as their lips parted that this was where they left one another.

It was goodbye.

Understanding didn't make it any less painful.

Giyuu held Shinobu's hand until it drained of warmth, and the heavens claimed her as their own.