Epilogue

Their short legs need to take five steps to cover a single one of their mother's, but even so the pups never fall behind. Bolstered by the fear of being left alone, they keep pace with her leisurely lope. The white wolf is surrounded by two more of her pack members, a rugged light male with one eye and a smaller, darker grey wolf. They are tracking the triumphant howls of the rest of their pack.

     As they reunite, they are greeted with the smell of blood and the harsh panting of the hunters. A bison lays before them and the pups yap excitedly, forgetting their tired paws immediately at the promise of food. The white wolf snarls at her pack, driving them away from the kill even though they were too scared to get close. The pups close in to eat their full, and only then are the rest allowed to share.

     Ever since their relocation, the wolves rarely stopped running.

     The prairies are wide and open and game is plentiful. Where they once starved for months on end, now they sleep with full bellies and sated smiles. The pack wants for nothing. Life is good. The pups are healthy. There is no scent of Man for miles, and they will never sight him again.

     The wolves run from sunrise to sunset, the wind in their fur and tongues in the air.