Eight - Found

The moment the wolves returned to the camp was a moment to remember, although Star did not know that at the time.

     Bone and Eagle were hauling moss and leaves from the forest to the dens and Fearless Bison and Otter had returned from their hunting trip. Roaring Bear led Owl into the camp opposite Star, and Alpha Snow was sitting at the mouth of her and her mate's den, watching the busy scene with pride.

     When Alpha Wind yipped a greeting, all the wolves turned to them and trotted over to greet the patrol.

     At that moment, Star was able to temporarily forget about the invading Nofurs. Despite how skinny everyone else was, it was almost like none of the events during the recent moons had happened. She could imagine they were hard-working and happy, and it would not be a lie.

     But Star's thoughts were brought back to a screeching halt when she noticed Fearless Bison's and Otter's jaws were empty. Roaring Bear and Owl had nothing either. Despite this, Alpha Wind raised his muzzle and growled,

     "Star has found a new source of food for us!"

     Night's ears twitched uncomfortably again and Star licked her snout to calm her down. The black she-wolf blinked at her and leaned into her side. Star was younger than Night, so her misgivings about the Nofurs were smaller than they should be. Her inexperience showed in every step she had taken through the Nofur camp earlier in the day, moving with a recklessness that could have endangered the whole pack.

     Her recklessness had earned them the promise of food, however.

     Bone caught the Nofur's scents from the wolves' pelts. "Did you go to the Nofur camp?"

     Alpha Snow growled, "was there food?"

     "Behind some of the dens are these boxes that reek of crow-food," Star announced proudly.

     Otter grimaced. "Are we really going to eat that?"

     Water wagged her tail in excitement. "But that wasn't all Star found! She saw a rat – it isn't the best, but it's still live prey!"

     Alpha Wind nodded. "We will go at night and hunt in the boxes and hunt the rats. Snow, do you agree that it would be best for you to stay behind?"

     The white she-wolf nodded. "I'm too heavy with pups to be of much use. If it is alright, I wish to keep Eagle with me."

     While it might make sense to keep Bone at the camp, the pack had observed his sense of smell had sharpened after losing his eye. He would be useful in the Nofur camp.

     Even so, Eagle's brown eyes lit up with excitement. She looked at her Alphas with hope; as an omega, this was a chance to prove her usefulness. Alpha Wind nodded and Eagle dipped her head quickly. "I promise I'll take good care of Alpha Snow," she said solemnly.

     Alpha Wind parted from the gathering and began walking to his den. "All other wolves will go with me on the hunt. For now, rest up – we leave at moonrise."

*

     Star was prodded awake by a large, pale white snout. She blinked open her eyes and saw the mangled face of Bone peering into hers.

     "It's time," he growled and left.

     Star yawned and looked around the hunter's den. The evening light illuminated the dirt walls and fresh bedding. Looks like I'm the last one, she thought grumpily.

     Star squeezed herself out the entrance and stretched once fully outside. She looked down at the camp from her perch.

     All of the other wolves except for Owl and Water – who were sleeping outside – were gathered in the centre of the camp. Alpha Snow and the omega Eagle sat at the entrance to the highest den. Star nodded to her sister when she caught her eye and bounded down the rocky slope. On the way, Star woke Owl and Water. The two wolves avoided each other's eyes as they followed Star to the rest of the pack.