Seven - Crow-food

Star limped back into the camp and wordlessly followed Swift River as he made his way up to the Alpha's den. He shot her a look, once again asking if she was okay, to which Star growled softly and turned away. Swift River sighed and scraped a bit at the hard packed dirt beneath the rock.

     "Alpha Snow? Alpha Wind? It's Swift; Star and I are back from chasing away the coyotes."

     This will be interesting, Star thought as she backed up a little and sat down heavily. The mates emerged from the den, Alpha Snow's belly poking out from her sides slightly. The soon-to-be mother immediately noted the blood on her sister's pelt.

     "Star! What happened?" she asked worriedly, on her paws immediately. Alpha Wind flicked his ear and turned to Swift River.

     "We were on patrol near the Nofur settlement when a pack of coyotes engaged us. We learned they came to hunt the crow-food the Nofurs leave behind. As you know I went back for reinforcements while Star kept the intruders busy. We successfully chased them away, Alphas."

     Alpha Wind dipped his head in thought, but growled: "Why did you leave Star? As the higher-ranking wolf, you should have been the one to stay behind and defend the territory."

     Swift River's wars laid back on his head. "I'm sorry, Alpha. I was faster so I knew I would return in time to help Star."

     Alpha Wind sighed. "Normally, I would punish you for breaking Wolf Law, but right now I cannot afford to weaken my hunters. Never do this again, understood?" Swift River nodded quickly. "Good," Alpha Wind continued, "Star, are you fit for a hunting patrol?"

*

     A quarter moon had passed since the coyotes had been driven out. On every hunting patrol Star went on, less and less food was found. The usual places rich with prey even with the Nofurs present were now running dry, and the Alphas needed to do something soon or the pack would starve.

     Star was lying beside Alpha Snow on top of a large boulder in the camp. They were sunning themselves, a rare time when both sisters could relax. Star groomed her Alpha's pelt, something she did even before the white wolf had been promoted, a task she completed now with even more pride. Alpha Snow would lick Star's ears in gratitude, though Star could not hide her worry.

     Alpha Snow was pitifully thin. If the Nofurs keep building their dens, then her pack will starve. So will her pups, if they're even born in the first place. Star fretted daily about her unborn kin. She made sure to always go hunting every day and find at least one piece of food for her sister and her pups. If Star couldn't eat, then at least her sister would.

     Even that was not enough. A mouse did little to help. While Alpha Snow was alive, she was not well, and the whole pack was on edge because of it. Star hoped they would find more food today. Hunger was weakening the pack's strength.

     Without food, unnecessary fights broke out that the omegas found hard to put to rest. Otter had to break rank several times and help her old denmates. Star had had to be called to help once when Bone was unable to separate Swift River and Night, who were fighting over a scrap of bones to chew.

     A snarl broke Star's thoughts and her grooming rhythm. Alpha Snow lifted her head up to see what was going on.

     Owl and Water were at each other's throats again. Before any wolf could react, Owl lunged and bit down on his packmate's ear. She howled in pain and slashed her claws across his face.

     Alpha Snow shakily stood up. "Stop this nonsense!" she howled. Instantly, the two quarreling wolves parted and lowered their ears. "Have you no more sense than newborn pups? Owl, Water is your packmate and your sister. It is your duty to protect her. The same for you, Water. Both of you are sleeping outside tonight, and until the next full moon."