Dinner.

*6*
It's Friday after school. Alex and I have been hanging out a lot more. It's only really been in school though, so I invited him to the apartment. We're riding home in Jake's jeep when I turn to see Alex's window rolled down. He has his arm out of the window, with his eyes closed. He's so calm, he looks free. I wish I could be that free. He slides his hand onto my knee. I grin and lean my head back to pretend I'm as free as he is. We got to the house, and I bound up the steps with Alex in tow. I unlocked the door while pushing it open.

"Welcome to my humble abode," I say with a big smile.

"You mean our humble abode, Eden," Violet retorts while patting my back. I roll my eyes as Alex laughs.

"She hasn't changed a bit, has she?"

"Nope buddy, still the same little firecracker as always," Jake says while following Vi to her room.

"Eden, do your homework. Mom and dad will be here at six, and I need you to go get dinner," Vi yells from down the hallway.

"Yeah, I got it," I yelled back before dragging Alex to my room. I drop my bag on the floor next to my couch. Alex follows the same manner before he starts to look around my room. He immediately walks to my dresser and picks up a picture frame. It's a picture of my sisters and me when we were younger.

"Maggie was like, what, 12-13 in this? That made you like 7 or 8, right?" he asks, looking at us.

"Yeah, it was 2014. She was 13, and I was 8. That was such a good day; it was the Fourth of July," I say, thinking back to when the picture was taken.

"Maggie! Violet! Eden! Come here, I want to take a picture of you guys before you all get messy or it gets too dark," Mom yells, and we all come running, placing ourselves in front of her.

"Maggie, sit on the top step, Vi, sit on the one below that, and Eden, baby, sit on the bottom step," Mom instructs, Maggie huffs and is about to speak before mom cuts her off,

"Magnolia May do not even think about giving me an attitude, or you can uninvite that little friend of yours. Now up the steps, young lady, and the same goes for you, Violet Marie. " Maggie huffs a little more before heading up the steps with Vi and me behind her. We all get our place and smile for the camera. Mom snaps the picture as Alex's mom pulls into the drive, and my eyes flash to Maggie.

"I'll race you there," I say before darting towards the car with a giggle.

"Squirt! Not fair!", and she charges after me.

I smile thinking about it. It was such a good day; I miss those days. I look up at Alex to see him also smiling. I grab mine and his bags off the floor as I hop on my bed.

"We should probably get on with that homework. Mom likes to be punctual and we need to go get food in like twenty minutes sooooo," I say, sliding his bag towards him on the bed. He joins me and smiles. We sit there for a couple minutes, and I stare at my math homework with a blank expression.

"When am I realistically going to need triangle proofs in my life?" I acknowledge

"Right now, maybe I could stay the night if you want me too," he replies, while taking my paper and doing the problem.