Picture

*9*
After I cleaned Alex up we went back downstairs to the dining room. The adults in the room had no clue what went on upstairs as they kept buzzing around the kitchen trying to make plates. All of the kids and teens could still feel the tension that came from the brawl upstairs. I stand in between Alex and Violet. I look across the room to see mom and Charlie chatting, I watch mom's glance go to me quickly, a spark of an idea flicks through her gray eyes.

"Eden, come here." she yells out. My stomach drops knowing whatever she wanted wasn't going to end well. I look at Alex with a look of stay. He nods and I cross the room to where my mom and Charlie stand. Violet walks with me so I'm not alone.

"Can you stand next to Charlie? I just want to see what it would have been like if she really was here." she said with enthusiasm in her voice. I sigh, and look down.

"Mom, she's not Maggie. It's not right, she isn't her, and you need to accept that reality. We all do." Violet spits out with anger.

"I know I just thought-" Mom says defensively

"No. Think about Eden, Mom." Violet shoots back. Charlie then throws his arm around me and I flinch. I look at Alex immediately as a plea for help.

"Come on Vi, one picture's fine, let your mom cope in her own way." Charlie says with a sickenly sweet smile on his face. I watch Violet's face quicken to anger.

"Maybe you should ask Eden." Violet states. Charlie's face falters before he speaks again.

"Why? won't she care"

"Because you asked her right? Eden, you don't have to do this, we can go home if you want." Violet defensively remarks.

"You wouldn't mind taking the picture right?" Charlie says demandingly. I shift uncomfortably underneath his arm, not wanting to make him upset.

"I, uh" I start to stutter before shooting Alex a nervous glance wanting out of the situation. He nods and starts walking towards us. He picks Charlie's arm off my shoulder, and pulls me closer to him.

"Clearly you're making My girlfriend uncomfortable, and at this point I really don't care what anyone wants. She's not taking the picture." Alex then declares with a protective tone.

"Mom you've already lost one daughter, do you really want to lose the other two? You can't see it but you're driving her away, and I'm going where she's going." Vi announces.

"Mom I think, I think we should go." I then utter as mom is slow to tears but she reluctantly nods.  We all four shuffle out the door and back into the Jeep. The air feels different out here, it's less tense. I lay my head on Alex's shoulder.

"Thank you for standing up for me." I state, Alex nods.

"Anytime E, someone has too." Vi reassures me. The rest of the drive is sliences.