Chapter Thirty-Seven

Maddie's POV

The plan was settled that I would need a different job.

Akin protested when he heard how quickly I accepted losing my position, being forced out the company. To even Layla, she agreed, stating that I should give a big fight or told me to beg for it back.

"You can't let them throw you out," Layla tossed a handful of popcorn into her mouth. It was time to watch reruns of our old favorite comfort drama-thriller movie series, A Muddled American Summer, which randomly starred Connie Irving when she was a child star.

The franchinese recently got relaunched for its eighth installment. We were at our apartment, longing on some pillows on the floor.

The plot was about a teenager who woke up from acoma, over and over again, and experienced a creepy set of events each time. In the first one, it was a murder-mystery, following her as a cheerleader that was similar to a Nancy Drew type and Buffy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Connie was the lead. Her character in the other one was dodging attempts at her life at every corner.

Her teeth was so straight, so pearly white, making me thinking of my stint career in beauty pageants. Where her teeth real? She had to be too young to have veneers.

Toddler's in Tiara's was a tv show I saw plenty of episodes of, seeing little girls use fake teeth for short periods of time in the hopes of getting those shiny, tall trophies.

As a youth, my thought was, Connie had to be sixteen, but she was really about fourteen.

Instantly, I thought of the way she looked so much like Miley Cyrus in her early days as Hannah Montana.

And just as fast, I began to remember how every teenage girl who watched her grow up wanted to be like her when she first debuted.

Recollection came to mind of me staring in the mirror, wondering why my two front teeth poked out the way they did.

Thinking I was odd. Feeling like I wasn't as perfect as the so-called regular kids.

But then, later on learning that Connie was young in comparison to all the other people around her.

People were in their thirties, playing in their teens, and she was the only one who played the part of her age range - slipping through the cracks because her grandmother was a famed Opera singer. Way, way back in the 40s. Connie had a voice like an old soul.

It took me years, figuring out my angles and patience to grow into my smile. I couldn't blame the look of superstars, or the sight of blemish-free characters who had routines and regimen that I couldn't afford.

My mother was able to drag me in her own little ways, giving me low-self esteem. Partly, the more my mind simmered on the thought, I contemplated if that was why I had no real fight in me. I wasn't born, or bred to be someone who jumped out fiercely.

"Hasn't Sebastian contacted you?" This inquire, pointed and loud, came from Akin.

"The last I heard from him, he was pissed at his parents because...I don't know," my head started to shake, not really knowing what I had overheard as hear-say at the office.

Only knowing that there was push, in favor from the company, regarding Connie rekindling her thing with Sebastian. The rumor's, over the course of three days, on the blogs were taking about a secret wedding in Malibu.

"Well I've heard things about Connie," Layla made aware, proving to me that she had done some digging on her own. She was such a good detective.

If any one of us were to go missing, leaving without a trace, I knew the first person who would find me would be Layla.

"You read the paper's the same as I do." I said."I've been told that she's pregnant one day, performing in Japan the next and taking shots on stage, and then finding out that it's all a hoax to release her new EP."

"She's such a bad role model."

Akin tossed popcorn at her in protest. "She's not. It's blog that make up stuff."

"She's trashy," Layla shouted, knocking away the kernels that landed on her lap. "Don't be mad at me."

I rolled my eyes, not taking Layla's word seriously. In minutes, she would compliment something off her phone, seeing Connie in a photoshoot, and say she was "Iconic."

My mouth widened, letting out a yawn.

The doorbell , ringing as loud as possible, surprised me more than the jump scare on the screen.

My two friends leaped from my reaction alone.

"I don't wanna get up." I groaned , reluctantly getting up. "This is getting to the funny part!"

I yanked open the door.

Sebastian was there.

With a gold ring.

Already on his hand.

I was going to throw up.

___

A/N: please vote and comment