Part 3 - Praeceptor

A knock came on the dining area entranceway, sounding hollow on the marble cladding. I looked up from gazing into nothing, and it was Vasvius, with Iovita. 

"Sir, this one wishes to thank you."

"Enter," I said.

Iovita stepped up onto the short lip which seperated the room from the atrium and then down again, and stood as he had seen Vasvius do, arms crossed behind himself. A twitch of the hand from Vasvius at Iovita's lower back straightened the spine and leveled the shoulders. Vasvius turned away, so that we might speak in mock privacy. 

I propped my head on my hand, reclining on one of the benches that earlier Vasvius had laid with double-thick white cushions for the banquet guests, who would arrive of the evening. There were six such benches, arranged in a U-shape around two round, marble-topped tables, upon which seven courses would make their procession. I could smell the dishes cooking as if the scent were coming from my own body, being sensitive to strong odors. Fish, plum, anise. I resisted drifting away to another place while the boy looked on me, could smell his nervous sweat, which had nothing to do with the heat.

"Speak, boy." 

"Thank you, master," he said, in a flood.

"For what?"

There was a stutter waiting around the edges of his tongue which he kept off by speaking very quickly. "For elevating me. For having faith in me. This one doesn't deserve your favor."

"Be still." 

He stood straighter then, stretching his neck up like a young loon, chin slightly upturned. He had the local look, with olive skin, and dark hair. I judged that he had been sold by parents deeply in debt.

I sat up on the bench and observed him. "Tip down your face, young man."

He did, eyes so narrowed that they were almost closed. 

"Look on me."

"I have been told not to look on your face, sir."

"Young Iovita, you surprise me with your manners. You seem a man in all but name."

"I have heard that you would offer a good steward the opportunity to buy his freedom with his good work, and sir, I will work very hard for you. I know that I am a little old to start this training, but there is no limit to what I would do."

"You are only fourteen. It is not so old. Open your eyes. I would see them."

"My father was a free man, sir, but he fell into terrible debt. He died before he could serve his time as fernae, and I would redeem my family. Yes. I was lucky to come into your house, and I know that, and I know that I haven't behaved perfectly until now, but I will improve. I will be perfect for you, sir."

"Be quiet. Open your eyes."

He did. 

"You have pretty eyes, slave. These are hazel, yes?" 

Looking on me, he could not speak.

"Do you see that I am not like you?" I asked, dropping the friendly tone from my voice.

There was slight movement in his face, which was a paralyzed nodding.

"Do not babble at me. I tire of chatter, easily."

"Yes."

"Yes?"

"Yes, master."

"Master?" I asked. He had used the wrong word, praeceptor, master tutor, which he called his senior stewards.