You must be lost

Chapter 2: You Must Be Lost

Sophie Foster

Keefe. Her face fell as she remembered the handsome boy with the piercing mischievous ice blue eyes and the blonde mussed-up hair who was her first and best. She had promised him, she would wear the necklace every day, and Sophie had never broken that promise. " This way, you'll always remember me, Foster!" He had said in a soft voice. Sophie had blushed, and Keefe had given her a crooked smirk. She had a habit of blushing a lot.

She quickly went down the spiral staircase and saw Edaline was putting down some pancakes and Ripplepuff cupcakes on a plate and caught her eye. Edaline gave her a beautiful smile, and said, " Good morning Sophie! I know it's the first day of school, so, I made you some Ripplefluff cupcakes and some custard bursts! Your favorites! And I made some mallowmelt for dessert tonight!" Sophie gave Edaline a wide grin.Edaline had invented the Ripplefluff cupcakes, by tweaking the original cupcake recipe, Ripplepuffs cupcakes were a buttery, fudgy dessert, that was part cupcake, part brownie, with a candy surprise sunken into the center, and today, Edaline had made her favorite flavor, chocolate mint! Custard Bursts were square puffs that looked like marshmallows but were crunchy on the outside, and gooey on the inside, and they came in so many amazing, mouthwatering flavors, and hers were chocolate cherry. Mallowmelt was her absolute favorite, the ultimate dessert, that Sophie would always devour in a matter of minutes. MallowMelt was a gooey cake covered in frosting and butterscotch, that tasted like a batch of freshly baked cookies soaked in some ice cream.

They had moved here to San Francisco from Florida, shortly after her older sister, Jolie, had died. Grady and Edaline had decided they needed a fresh start from all the grief and pain. Jolie was supposed to get married to Brant, her fiance, the week after, but when Jolie had come over to Brant's place when he was sleeping, the entire apartment had exploded in flames. The family was a mess, especially Brant. Jolie managed to save Brant, but the flames and the smoke had engulfed her. The grief had shattered him so much, that he lived in a cold stone house, away from anything warm.

"Thanks, Mom," She said while grabbing a bottle of Lushberry juice. Edaline kissed her on the cheek and wished her a good day. She saw Grady outside the massive house, watering the plants, his blue eyes twinkling. He grinned and hugged her. " Have a good day at school, ok kiddo?" She smiled, and hugged him back, saying that she would try.

She walked to the bus stop, seeing a familiar boy, with strawberry blonde hair, and blue eyes. "Dex!" She exclaimed. Dex turned to face Sophie, his eyes going wide. " Omigosh, Sophie? Is that you?" He asked in a surprised voice. "I know you moved here, but I didn't know you went to Foxfire!" He grinned widely, his dimples making a prominent appearance. Dex was her cousin, not biologically related since she was adopted, but he was Edaline's nephew. They hadn't seen each other in 2 years.

They boarded the bus, talking, laughing, and catching up. The bus stopped, and dropped them off at Foxfire, which was humongous! The school had a breathtaking pyramid made of glass. Sophie's eyes went huge. How would she find her way without Dex? Dex grabbed her hand and started walking into the ginormous building. When she entered, a giant spotlight was on top of her. She squinted her eyes, not able to see through the blinding light.

"Students, please welcome our newest student, Sophie Elizabeth Foster!" She heard a female voice say. Sophie heard hostile murmurs, and surprising voices, most of them saying, "Who enrolls into Foxfire in the middle of the school year? That hasn't happened in 35 years!"

Sophie stifled a groan and waited for the spotlight to die. And in 2 minutes, it did. She turned around to saw the woman who had made the announcement. She had long, thick, caramel brown hair, in an elegant bun, and dark blue eyes. She wore a full-sleeved navy-blue turtle-neck shirt, with a skirt the same color. She had a badge that had the word, Principal Alina. She caught Sophie's eyes and smiled. Sophie gave her a small smile.

She turned around to see Dex talking to a short, but cute girl, with ice-blue eyes, and shoulder-length blond hair with little braids in them. She walked over to them to see Dex rolling his eyes. " For the last time Marella, chocolate is—oh, Sophie, this is my friend Marella, and Marella, this is my cousin Sophie," Dex said. Marella studied her and quickly gave her a small smile. " Hi, Sophie! It's nice to meet you. As Dex said, I'm Marella, not Mare, not Ella, no nicknames, and I practically know everything that goes on around here, so if you want to know something, I'm the person to ask." Marella seemed like the total opposite of a girly girl, which was the moment she knew that Marella would be a good friend.

"Thanks, Marella," Sophie replied. Dex smiled. "What do you have for the first period? I have astronomy, but Marella has Alchemy." He asked.

"Oh, I have Alchemy too! But I pretty much suck at it. At my old school, I may have burnt my partner's sleeves, but, in my defense, they were pretty long." Dex chuckled. "Bad luck, you have Ms. Galvin, she is super harsh on people that get instructions wrong." Sophie tore out a few eyelashes nervously. Instantly, Sophie was dreading first period. The bell rang, which was their cue to get moving.

Dex walked in the opposite direction, as Marella grabbed Sophie's hand and led her to their Alchemy classroom. They passed several long hallways on the way and climbed more than 50 stairs. By the time they reached the classroom, Sophie was out of breath and had flushed cheeks from all that walking. Marella, though, as delicate as she looked, was smiling, and didn't even look the least bit tired. She opened the door and took a seat near Marella, who plopped down in the last row.

Ms. Galvin looked like a very strict teacher, with her stiff posture, and her red-brown hair twisted into a severe bun at the top of her head. She was wearing a black cardigan and a skirt that came to her knees.

"Today, we will be learning how to turn glass into iron. Follow the instructions of the book, your time starts now." Sophie tore out some eyelashes, as she looked at the book at the top of her desk, she got to work, reading, and rereading the instructions. She did not want to fail this class. She lost several eyelashes on the way, but she finally made it to the last step. Ms. Galvin was walking around, inspecting every student, especially Sophie. She seemed to be paying extra attention to her. When she felt confident that she had it right, she poured everything into the flask. Then she plunged the spoon in and whipped the liquid the same way she'd learned to whip cream.

"Don't!" Ms. Galvin shouted, rushing forward to stop her—a second too late.

The liquid fizzed and rumbled. Sophie jumped out of the way just as sticky gray jelly exploded all over Ms. Galvin's black cardigan.

Sophie watched in horror while the sludge dissolved the luxurious fabric.

"I'm so sorry." She reached for the damaged cardigan to see if there was anything she could do to salvage it, but Ms. Galvin grabbed her hand to stop her. That's when she noticed the red welt on the back of Sophie's wrist, where some of the slime caught her.

She sighed. "Better head to the Healing Center."

"Yes, ma'am." Sophie was hardly eager to see a doctor, but Lady Galvin looked ready to murder someone. She rushed to retrieve her satchel. "Should I come back here afterward?"

"No!"

Sophie slunk toward the door. "Okay. See you next week?" Galvin's face darkened, and she turned away muttering under her breath about incompetence.

Sophie wandered the hallways, until she found herself in a stark-white hallway. Panic and pain clouded her thoughts, and just as she was about to turn around and go back to Galvin's class to ask for directions, she heard a voice say, " You must be lost."