01, loss and light

☼ ☼ ☼

☼ ☼ ☼

If you asked anyone at Midtown High to describe Vienna Kendrick in one word, the most commonly used word would be "optimistic". The runner-ups would probably be stuff like "weirdo" "lunatic" or "who?"

Vienna tended to ignore the last ones, but the first was true. She was a very optimistic person. Sometimes a bit too much.

Ever since the girl was little, she had always looked on the bright side of things. When it started raining on her fifth birthday, she didn't care. She took it as an opportunity to go jump in the puddles and try to catch raindrops in her mouth. Her parents weren't so pleased about the muddy footprints all over the carpet after, though.

When her second grade boyfriend, Jason Carlisle, broke up with her because she didn't want to share her peanut M&M's, she still had a bag of M&M's all for herself, and that was enough for her.

Though when her mother died, it was hard for her to stay positive. This was different from the other stuff she had experienced before. In all other scenarios, there was always a bright side. But where was it, when it was most needed?

At the funeral, she was the only one with dry eyes. She couldn't bring herself to cry, she just couldn't. She saw all these people around her, some who she didn't even know, mourn the loss of a friend, a family member, her mother.

"How is this real?" she thought. She loved her mother so dearly, and now she was gone? Vienna didn't want to believe it. She didn't like this dark, saddening feeling brewing inside of her, so she pushed it away. She pushed it into the deepest darkest corner of her golden heart, and locked it away, never to be released.

The next day, her father suggested she stayed at home to allow her to mourn. The girl declined politely, put on her shoes, and skipped away to the bus.

And that's how things would stay for Vienna.

Although she always insisted she was perfectly fine, there was one person who saw through her bullshit, and that was Peter Parker. Their parents had been friends long before Vienna and Peter were even born, and so the two were destined to become friends. They were the type of friends that basically lived at each others houses, and everyone knew they came as a package deal. Super cliché.

They were with each other through thick and thin, like when Peter's parents left him, and he had to go live at his aunt and uncle's house. Vienna was right there beside him through all of it, literally. For the first few nights she slept over at their house, to make him feel comfortable with this big change that suddenly happened.

Everything was looking bright for the two friends, up until the end of middle school, where the two just stopped talking. Looking back Vienna didn't really know why. They just grew apart. It was stupid, but that's how life is.

She had some half-friends that she spoke to occasionally, like Gwen Stacy. Vienna's dad used to work with Gwen's at the police station, and were quite close actually, until Vienna's mother passed away, and he wanted to get a safer job. He didn't want to risk his two children becoming completely parentless, so now he was a security guard at Oscorp. Whenever they passed each other in the halls, they would just send a small smile or wave, and move on.

Now the girl was 17, and a senior in high school. She had found out a while back that her peers disliked school, but she couldn't seem to figure out why. She loved learning about anything and everything, and school was the exact place where that was possible. Sure, every lesson wasn't as interesting as the other, but it was those golden moments Vienna stayed focused on.

In her spare time Vienna worked at a 7-Eleven in Queens near where she lived. She originally got the job to help her dad out financially, but stubborn as he was, he refused to let his 17 year old daughter help pay the bills. She liked working there, mostly because of the free snacks, so she continued. Besides, it was nice having her own money.

Vienna often had shifts at the same time as a girl named Sam, who was the same age as her, but went to a different and "shittier" school, as Sam liked to say. The girls weren't extremely close, but Vienna did know one crucial thing about her, and that was that she was obsessed with Spiderman. More specifically, finding out who was behind the mask.

When Vienna had asked why, she had answered "Well, there's nothing else to do, and he might be a really hot guy so why not?". She was content enough with that answer.

In current time it was a Wednesday at 10:55 pm, and Vienna's shift 7-Eleven was almost over. Vienna was the only one in the store, as Sam had left a couple hours prior. She didn't want to be completely alone, and since there were no costumers at the moment, she was on a phone call with Sam, who wanted to talk about her recent discovery.

"I'm telling you, I'm getting closer! Yesterday i swear i saw him take off some of his mask. He doesn't have a beard, as i thought last week, by the way." Sam explained through the phone.

Vienna perched her chin onto her hand and rested her elbow on the counter, nodding at what her friend was saying, even though she couldn't see it. She personally didn't care much for revealing his identity, as there obviously was a reason it was hidden, but she wanted to support her friend. "That's good! Small progress is still progress." She said.

"Exactly! Actually i went on Google the other day and found--" She was interrupted by the ringing of the bell, indicating that a costumer had entered the shop. Her eyes flew to the door, and in walked the boy that Vienna had pushed to the back of her mind for years,

Peter Parker.

He stopped in his tracks immediately, when he spotted the girl behind the counter. She looked down and pretended to fix something with the cash register, as she didn't want him to be uncomfortable with her staring him down. After a few seconds, she could hear him move again, walking through the aisles of the store. Once she was sure his eyes weren't on her anymore, she hung up on the phone call, and made a mental note to text Sam later.

She had seen Peter in the halls at school several times, but had pushed away every thought of just walking up to him and saying hello. It was so weird that after all this time, the first time they would talk to each other again would be the 7-Eleven where she worked.

He walked up to the counter, and placed a pint of chocolate milk on it, not looking her in the eyes. "That'll be 2 dollars." she said, as he fished out some money from his jacket, and handed it to her. Right as he had turned his back on her and was about to leave, she yelled, "Unibrow!"

He turned around, and looked her in the eyes, a small but genuine smile on his lips. "Braceface." He said, laughing slightly. She nodded, a smile tugging on her lips.

"The one and only."

☼ ☼ ☼

AUTHOR SPEAKS !

welp, here it is! the first chapter. hope it's alright and that you enjoyed it :]

feel free to vote or leave a comment! it would mean a lot and also get me a bit more motivated to post lol