Chapter 11

When I took the job at Luke's dinner, I never thought I'd be working wearing a hard hat at work, something I couldn't get out of. Jess would always appear at the beginning of my shift and dump it onto my head, whether he was working or not. It's even weirder dodging debris as you eat food. 

Lorelai and Rory walked in to the dinner and I waved them over since I was sat at the only semi empty, not always going to get knocked on the head table. It didn't take long before Lorelai's cellphone started ringing.

"Outside!" Luke called over to us. 

"You know if I sit here one more second, I just might be outside," Lorelai joked. As Luke disappeared off to the counter, Lorelai turned to Rory. "Order me some coffee."

My vision of Rory and the rest of the dinner was quickly cut off by a black umbrella. I smiled when Jess leaned down in the quiet corner he'd made and pecked my lips before handing over the umbrella to me. 

As Jess walked off I scooted closer to Rory so she would fit underneath the umbrella too. 

"Oh, you are really funny," Luke complained to Jess. "You and Tom should put an act together." Luke turned to me, "I'd leave it open." 

I nodded, "You got it Luke." 

It was a good thing because two seconds later another load of debris fell from the ceiling. 

"So you and Jess, huh?" Rory grinned at me. "We should double date you and Jess with Dean and I."

I raised my eyebrow, "Two things. One, Dean and Jess don't get along. Two, Jess and I aren't official or anything."

"Wait? Then what's going on with you two?" Rory asked. 

I turned and watched Jess walk back past our table so I remained quiet until he was out of hearing range. 

"We act like we're dating but Jess had never asked to put a label on it. I'm too scared to be the one to force him. We seem so good as it is and I don't want to ruin it," I shrugged. 

Lorelai came back in, collapsing into her chair about the same time she threw her phone into her bag. She sighed and looked at Rory and I huddled under the umbrella. 

"I'm going to a spa with my mother," Lorelai deflated. Knowing Lorelai's relationship with her mom, this could either end in disaster or a huge success.  

"Move forward," Rory instructed her mother, gesturing for her to get under the umbrella. Luckily, she admonished because a few seconds later I heard the resounding thud of plaster slamming into the umbrella. Rory then turned to me, "When are you going to the spa?"

Lorelai reluctantly admitted, "This weekend." 

Rory turned to me, "Have any plans this weekend?"

"Not that, I'm aware of," I shrugged. 

"Fancy coming round to watch TV and order in food," Rory offered. 

I nodded, "I'm in. Is it alright if I bring my laundry? Aunt Patty has managed to clog the filter with her unmentionables and the last time I emptied it I nearly gagged." 

"We can make a night of it," Rory agreed just before our food arrived. 

We ended up eating our breakfast together, alternating passing around the umbrella. Jess arrived while the girl's were still eating to escort me off to school. 

-=-

Heading off to Rory's house at 6, a basket full of laundry in my arms. A beaming smile on my face, after passing another two of my tests in Lit, slowly but steadily I was catching up.