♕ chapter one

After six long months of preparation, the Fortress has finally opened its doors,  and the selection has begun

After six long months of preparation, the Fortress has finally opened its doors, and the selection has begun. Out of thousands of applicants, only twenty-two were chosen.

Nine are female, seven male, and five non-binary. Tonight, they are all one.
As they enter the Fortress's walls for the first time, they are stepping into a new life, leaving the past behind them. For the first time, no one has to worry about who they are, or where they came from; all they can focus on is making that first impression.

In fact, the first event of the selection is a masquerade ball. To ensure that every selected—example or convict—is given a fair shot at winning over the royals' hearts, all will be wearing masks to conceal their true identities.

 To ensure that every selected—example or convict—is given a fair shot at winning over the royals' hearts, all will be wearing masks to conceal their true identities

For convicts, this ball means EVERYTHING TO THEM. As they know very well, this is their second chance at life, a chance that not many get. They know that if they fail to win over the hearts of the royals, they will go back to the dungeons, and will be EXECUTED for their crimes, which is not a risk they are willing to take.

This being said, the Ball is FAIR PLAY. No crimes or misdemeanors of any sort is allowed. If the Count or The Councilwoman catch anyone trying to interfere with the selection process, they will automatically be taken to the dungeons and KILLED. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Neither the Count nor the Councilwoman will be wearing a mask; if you have issues of any sort, they will be easy to recognize and able to help you! Additionally, they can give you a quick tour of the castle grounds if needed.

And now, a message from OUR QUEEN:

"Greetings everyone, and welcome to the fortress! Tonight is a momentous occasion: all selected will enter through the Fortress doors for the first time. Our limousines will arrive at your district shortly. Before entering, you will be handed a wristband, fitted and designed solely for you. This wristband must be treated with great care, for it is your identifier and ticket to the Selection. If you happen to take it off, you WILL BE SENT HOME. They are waterproof, fire-proof, and designed to withstand any and all curses. Put them on the moment you receive them!

As you are already aware, each Selected has been instructed to design their own outfit to better showcase who they are. Although a bit of modesty would be ideal, there are no limitations. If you want to dress in your district's traditional clothes, please do so! We prefer you to be as creative as possible as we want to see everyone represented.

However, do not feel self-conscious, as we will not judge you. Tonight is stress-free. The royals will be among you in disguises of their own; as such, there will be no formal events in which you have to impress your future husband or bride. For now, all you need to do is socializeyou might not even realize that you're conversing with a royal!

Even so, tonight is all about you! The chosen! Tonight is the perfect opportunity to introduce yourselves to one another and to get a good scope for the competition. Tonight is all about making allies, figuring out who your adversaries are, and, while you're at it, introducing yourselves to us!

You will not have to formally introduce yourself unless you are asked by Myself or the King, and the Count and Councilwoman, in which the usual rules apply:
LYING TO A ROYAL OR A MEMBER OF THE ROYAL COURT is a crime.
And remember,
ALL CRIMES END IN YOUR EXECUTION.

But, if you truly wish to meet us, special awards lie in store for those who do. If we like you well enough, we may set you up on a personalized date with one of our children. Or better yet, the renowned Ajax the Matchmaker can grant you a complimentary lesson in the art of courtship.

The ballroom's historic Great Dome will open after sundown to reveal the night sky above. With this, you will have the opportunity to dance under the stars. There will be a fireworks show, live music, and exotic refreshments!

We are highly anticipating your arrival. I hope to meet you shortly, Selected."

[ This chapter takes place in the ballroom. Feel free to make as many group or individual chains as you like! You may post your outfits on Discord, describe it, attach an image link to the beginning of a chain, or tag us in a book!

[ Royals remember- the goal of tonight is to try to see which selected might be a good fit for you- not to fall in love- but to see who might love you regardless of your status. It is for this reason- it is /suggested/ that royals not reveal their true identity- as there are very few moments that royals get to be free to be themselves - this night being one of them.