♕ chapter seven

"you can check out any time you like
but you can never leave."

AFTER A DREARY FEW NIGHTS, the Selection approaches its end

AFTER A DREARY FEW NIGHTS, the Selection approaches its end. Tonight is the closing event; the final chance for Convicts to make their case before they join the spirits forevermore. It is their last night to roam freely about the castle, for as soon as the ball ends they will meet a prisoner's demise.

At last, the royals will make their final decisions. Some choices, of course, are known. Prince Arcadius, sources say, is set to marry the District Ten example. Others are unknown, leaving four spots open for the taking.

The selection will end—fittingly—just as it began: with a masquerade ball.

However, unlike last time, there is nothing to worry about. Everything in the castle is as it should be.

The ex-Count Hugo Rousseau is no longer caught between forms as they stand next to the Queen's side, seemingly unaffected by last week's events. However, if you look closer, he appears paler than usual, eyes hollow with a gaunt appearance reflecting that of a ghost. Usually, such treason would be deemed a death sentence, but it seems that the Queen has decided to spare him. At least for today.

As for Queen Elvara, she sits on her throne in the middle of the ballroom, her eyes calculating and cold. She is as beautiful as ever. Her hairs are slowly graying, and her lips are red as blood. The spot next to her is vacant as the King is still too ill to be around others.

This is the Convicts' final chance to make amends. If the royals do not make their choices, the Queen will choose the other victors. To get ahead, the Queen has announced that anyone who turns Bloodletter sympathizers in will be given favor.

As it is their final night alive, the queen has granted everyone full access to the fortress. They are free to roam about and do as they please until midnight.

The rules are clear.

Stay within the fortress.

DO NOT LEAVE.

Be back in the ballroom by midnight.

ANYONE WHO LEAVES THE FORTRESS WILL BE KILLED ON SIGHT.

There are no exceptions.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Notably absent from the ball, Prince Arcadius and Countess Lillie are preparing for tomorrow's ceremonies, ensuring that everything is perfect. The Bloodletter is back in his cell, awaiting execution.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Hi everyone! After a long hiatus, we are going to try to get this wrapped up! We are in the final stretch now, and this is the last chapter before all the action begins >:)

Just be warned, not everything in this chapter is as it seems. Now might be the time to make amends, and determine what side you are on. Your choices are more important now than ever.