Chapter Two: New Starts

~ oOo ~

The Goddess of Death

Loki

He stared down at his hand in amazement. This was beyond his wildest dreams. He had a soul mate. Someone out there who would be able to accept him as he was and still want him. This was so incredibly rare, it hadn't been heard about in centuries on Asgard.

He looked out the window in the library at the courtyard. It was his hidden spot where he would go and think, where Thor was unlikely to find him. But they would know where to find him, and he would know where to find them. But only if they were in the same realm, as all things had a limit. Even the magic that connected them and called to one another. He turned away from the sights of Asgard.

His soul mate wasn't on Asgard, this meant. He could not feel through their bond that they were near. But where could they be? Did he dare go through the secret passageways and search? After what he planned for Thor's coronation tomorrow? The All-father would surely notice him missing, it would lead to questions. And it could lead to Thor's resentment, for announcing this news would ignite anger and jealousy in his brother. Thor's emotions would get the better of him. And what if they thought him lying? What if they thought it was all a jest to steal the lightning of Thor's special day?

Mother would believe him. But would that be enough to gain permission and use the Bifrost to search for his soul mate?

Best to leave it for now, to let his plans go forth and after the All-father realized Thor wasn't ready for the responsibility of looking after the realms would he search for his soul mate. And then he would finally find the happiness he'd been searching for.

He turned his head back to the window, to the fighting arena watching Thor practice with Sif and the Warriors Three. For the first time not feeling jealous of their friendship.

~ oOo ~

Calla

"Calla! Oh, my Merlin! Callie!" Padma ran towards her where she stood watching other witches and wizards binding Death Eaters so they wouldn't escape. She turned her head to see her friend rushing towards her dark hair whipping into her worried face.

"Padma!" She blinked feeling the rush of adrenaline from battle leave her as she staggered in place leaning most of her weight on the staff beside her. "What happened to your face?" She asked as Padma skidded in front of her almond-shaped eyes wide.

"Oh this?" Padma touched her cheek where a scar sat diagonally across her jaw, blood leaked out of it and was smudged as her fingertips gently touched it. "A weak cutting curse, bastard went down with a well-aimed jelly-leg jinx." Her friend rolled her eyes. "Death Eaters these days..."

"The requirements must have dropped." She laughed, partly in relief. Everything seemed funny at that moment.

"What we saw earlier..." Padma frowned her words hesitant as her eyes watched Calla's face. "I don't really know what to ask, and I don't know if you even have the answer, but there will be questions."

She sighed running a hand through her hair. "All I want right now is to see Teddy and sleep. I don't want to stay here, I don't think I ever want to come back."

"I understand." Padma's lips tugged up as her own eyes scanned the carnage around them. "I'm sure Luna could provide a suitable distraction so they don't notice you missing."

"That sounds wonderful." She smiled for the first time since the battle had started.

"I'll see you tomorrow though, right?" Padma bit her lip and her question tentative. Her heart warmed at her friend's worriment, but it did hold a ring of truth since there was nothing more she wanted to do than escape the wizarding world.