Chapter Five: Directional Pull

~ oOo ~

The Goddess of Death

Loki

He escorted his mother down through the crowd gathered in the great ceremonial hall and towards the throne where his father sat in full ceremonial armour and Gungnir held before him, he nodded as he led his mother to where she needed to stand. Then took his place at the front of the hall looking down at Asgard's citizens with Sif and the Warrior Three taking a more active place amongst the others as Thor's closest friends, standing closer to the throne. With another blast of the horn the crowd fell silent and they all turned for Thor's entrance. The Einherjar Honour Guard moved into formation to typically reveal the heir to the throne.

Loki let out a sigh as Thor did not make an appearance. He felt his father's eyes on the back of his helm and turned to see Odin looking at him in question. Shrugging he saw that father was not pleased, turning back to the front he looked towards the Warrior's three if they had any idea what was holding Thor up.

"Where is he?" Volstagg leaned over and whispered.

"He said he'd be along." Loki sighed and then saw Sif's eyes suddenly light up in understanding before shaking her head in disapproval.

"What?" Volstagg also noticed Sif's realisation.

"He wants to make an entrance." Sif answered. Closing his eyes in frustration, Loki realised she was right. Typical Thor. Because of course his foolish brother couldn't act with the dignity of royalty for such an important occasion.

"Well, if he doesn't show up soon, he shouldn't bother. Odin looks like he's ready to feed him to his ravens." Fandral smirked.

"I wouldn't worry." Loki drawled. "Father will forgive him. He always does." He rolled his eyes. Before Sif could reply as she clearly wanted to, a roar came from the back of the hall, distracting the group. Striding cockily into view Thor held his hand up behind his back and caught Mjolnir causing the crowd to erupt in joy. Cheers rang out as Thor continued by spinning his hammer, flourishing it about and holding it up for all the crowd to gaze upon. His brother basked in the moment, glowing at the adoration of their people and whipping the audience into a further frenzy.

"Oh, please." Sif huffed, though a smile tugged at his lips. Clearly, she enjoyed Thor's attitude. Attitude he knew his father did not approve of, but Thor's friends seemed to encourage. His eyes flickered over to his father to see, his father's one blue eye narrow on Thor's figure, clearly not liking the showy display. It reassured him to his own plans, knowing Thor was not mature enough for the throne yet, perhaps this display would further cerement that fact in his father's eyes. Thor just needed more time, he needed responsibilities that would make him into a King Asgard needed. The responsibility of Kingship should not be thrust upon him at the present moment, father just needed to observe right at this moment that Thor didn't yet have what it took.

The crowd continued their cheers as Thor stirred up the crowd before finally reaching the front of the room and kneeling before them. Out of the corner of his eye he saw mother casting Thor an admonishing glace and Thor merely winking in response. As she did whenever the two of them were cheeky or mischievous mother couldn't help but smile. Suddenly father striked Gungnir upon the ground deafening the crowd with the boom that rang out. Silence befall the hall.

"Gungnir." Father spoke in a quiet, effortless authority demanding the respect of their people. All listened without fail. "Its aim is true, it's power strong." Father held Gungnir in the air for all to see. "With it I have defended Asgard and the lives of the innocent across the Nine Realms since the time of the Great Beginning. And though the day has come for a new King to wield his own weapon." Father looked down at Thor and he saw the uncertainty in the turn of father's mouth. "That duty remains the same. Thor Odinson, my heir, my first-born." Some older members of the crowd shifted, mother straightened her spine and stared dead ahead. He turned and frowned at his father, surely father knew Thor wasn't ready. Why did the ceremony still continue, then? "So long entrusted with this mighty hammer, Mjolnir. Forged in the heart of a dying star, from the sacred metal of Uru. Only one may lift it. Only one is worthy. Who wields this hammer commands the lightning and the storm. Its power has no equal, as a weapon, to destroy." Odin paused and frowned down at Thor's excited expression. "Or as a tool, to build." Father paused there attempting to read his brother, to see if Thor understood his words. "It is a fit companion for a King." The crowd shivered with excitement and he turned his head to see his mother worrying her hands. Something was wrong, more than just his own plans. Something plagued at the minds of his parents, but what was it? "Today I entrust you with the greatest honour in all the Nine Realms. The sacred throne of Asgard. I have sacrificed much to achieve peace. So, too, must a new generation sacrifice to maintain that peace." Father stared down hard at Thor who blinked and looked up at father with a slight frown at the emphasised words. "Responsibility, duty, honour. These are not merely virtues to which we must aspire. They are essential to every soldier and to every King." His eyes caught how the crowd shuffled and shivered as a chilled air swept through the hall. "Thor Odinson, do you swear to guard the Nine Realms?"