Chapter 1: Paid in Full

The dark room was lit only by two candles alight next to each other on an old rustic table near the entrance of the room. The first half of the room as you walked in the door was lit up enough to see but the area that lay beyond was nearly pitch black. The window at the side wall was void of any light as well, because it was too early in the morning for the sun to have come up yet. No moon was in view either. A dark figure loomed at the back of the office-like room, leaning back in an old wooden chair with his feet up on the desk before him, wearing black leather boots. His arms crossed behind his head seeming to hold it forward as it tilted down over his chest, eyes closed, sleeping peacefully, separate from the bar the office was a part of. Though it was early in the morning around 1:00 am, jeering and laughing could be heard mixed with the clinking of beer mugs in the bar down the hall, connecting the office to the main attraction. The dark figures ears twitched, listening to footsteps coming down the hall towards his door. He hadn't been sleeping heavily to have woken at the slightest noise. The dark figure wore a wide-brimmed hat that covered his eyes and most of his face with his head tilted down. It lifted a little as he looked up at the doorway, a blue furred fox walking in wearing a dress-shirt and a jean jacket with black pants, holding a lit lantern. The fox wore round-lens specs looking distressed and anxious as he stepped into the room, placing the lantern on the side table next to the candles. He was clearly sober due to his scent, clean of any alcohol and having a hint of cologne. He was not here to drink, so what was a clean, well-kept business man doing at a pub? The dark figure took note of this as he watched the nervous fox from the hidden cover of his hat and the surrounding darkness. The young fox knocked softly on the table to state his presence and he stuttered as he thought of what to say. "I-I'm sorry to bother you so early in the morning s-sir... B-but I'd like your help with something... I didn't receive any specifics of you, just that there was a bounty hunter staying here. Can you help me? "

The dark figure twitched his ear in acknowledgement to continue. Not much of his body was visible in the darkness and it took all of the foxes concentration to recognize the signal and he took a breath. "I need your help with... 'Taking care' of someone for me... I heard you've taken care of hundreds of targets flawlessly and have never missed even one... So I have no doubt you are the person I need." The fox continued. The dark figure lifted his head to look the young fox in the eye. The foxes soft green eyes widened at the intense, deadly look in the emotionless visage of the icy, blue-eyed wolf before him. The wolfs fur was dark grey with a white underbelly, and an electric blue stripe between the two contrasting colors from his head to his waist. He had bright blue markings on his white face that only now the fox could see as the light from the lantern reached the wolfs nearly glowing countenance. The wolfs short, ragged hair hung down just above his eyes and down by his ears in a clean sweep. His hair was dark grey with bright blue tips. His lips parted as he watched the intruding fox with a fierce questioning gaze. "Who are you?... And who will be my target?..."

The fox smiled softly for the first time, seeming reassured the stranger wolf was willing to cooperate. His ears perked and he held himself up more proudly with confidence as he answered. "My name is Darren. I'm one of many victims of a thief I want you to take care of... She's female... And very sneaky. Do not underestimate her. She'll be a good challenge for you should you accept this offer. She's a white Snow Leopard with lavender purple tints and tips with bright blue markings. She has blue eyes and is said to tempt men with sweet words while she robs them blind. She's known to go to fancy restaurants, cafés and gatherings where she pick-pockets many customers and people, and steals their money and priceless belongings. Her game needs to be put to an end."

Darren reached into his pants pocket and pulled out a small bag and opened it, tipping it upside down and letting a few dozen gold coins spill out onto the desk where the wolfs boots lay. He reached in again and pulled out a colored photo of a young, beautiful and cunning looking female snow leopard, wearing a dark brown cloak and ragged clothes to blend in with any other beggar on the street. Her fluffy long tail stuck out from under her cloak as she walked in the picture. The frame frozen on the image of her looking back over her shoulder with an intense thrilled look on her face. The wolf glared at the shimmering gold pieces for a moment, ignoring the photo and then gazed back up at the inquiring fox with a satisfied look. He grinned, his fierce, icy gaze remaining cold as he watched the young fox with intense eyes. "I accept your offer, Darren. I will set out at dawn to take care of the target. Do you want her dead or alive?"

Darren stay silent for a moment as he thought, looking at the ground. He then raised his gaze back up to the wolfs and grinned. "I'd like her dead. The only good thief is a dead one... You may discard of her body as you wish, so long as I was never here, understood, mister....?"

The fox watched the wolf as he waited for his name. The wolf smirked and his head tilted down again, the brim of his hat once again covering his fierce visage. He wore a black leather trench coat to match his hat and boots, and his black shirt underneath was torn and ripped in several places as if they were scars made in cloth from countless battles and skirmishes, perhaps fights even with his targets. Without the fox even realizing, he had reached his hand forward and grabbed the refilled bag of gold pieces, tucking it in his pocket while the fox spoke. He smiled and then sighed contently as he took a breath and replied with a sly and mysterious voice, his voice echoing in the dark room. "Kimata... The name, is Kimata."