Chapter 5: Waking surprise

The dark figure held his sword firmly as he watched the sleeping woman, completely invisible in the darkness except for his glowing eyes. The curtain was still moved out of placed and the slightest cold breeze flowed steadily in, making the air cold and sharp. Kimata held his breath as the young woman stirred in her sleep at the feeling of the freezing air flowing in. The tip of his sword moved towards the girl a bit. He should kill her before she wakes up. He took a slow step forward and moved the tip of his sword over the side of the girls neck as she slept on her side. He paused and observed her as she squirmed around in her small blankets trying to get warmer as the breeze flowed in. He wasn't bothered by the cold with his thick leather trench coat on. It kept him warm and dry in any weather. The girl mumbled softly in her sleep and Kimata's ears perked as he watched her in slight curiosity and in thought. His eyes wandered and took in every detail as his focus drifted from his task as he observed her. Her ears tucked back against her head, her five tails coiling and twitching softly in her sleep as they lay half curled around her, and he'd just noticed as he held a hand out to feel the cold air around him, that she was starting to shiver. His ears twitched and he started to regain his focus as she started to murmur and groan quietly in her sleep, stirring more, still unable to find warmth. Kimata raised his sword getting ready to bring it down on her exposed throat when the young leopard suddenly squirmed and sat up on the side of her hip, propping herself up with one arm as she rubbed her eyes with her free hand. she mumbled softly as the fresh cold air struck her, the blankets falling off her upright side, eyes still closed. "God Dammit, I thought I covered the door..." She whined. Kimata pulled his sword back instantly and fell completely still, all his senses acute incase the woman tried to attack. He observed her closely staying silent and still. Only a sliver of the moon was visible on this night and let in the smallest ray of light into the hollow that the opening in the curtain now let in. The young leopard yawned softly and opened her eyes sleepily, facing the open curtain. She shivered in the cold air and her bright blue eyes set ablaze in a brilliant glow as the moonlight caught them, and they sparkled like diamonds. Kimata's eyes widened at the sight but stayed still and silent. He stayed hidden in the shadows and watched her closely. She groaned to herself and leaned heavily towards the curtain, reaching forward, about to pull it over the gap when out of the corner of her eye she saw the silver glint of Kimata's sword and turned towards him. The young wolf stayed silent and still hoping she hadn't seen him and held perfect form. He watched her closely and saw her awed and frightened expression and realized his hopeful thinking had been in vain. He watched as her ears lowered flat back against her head and she contracted back into her bed, pulling her arm back close to her body, not taking her gaze off of him. Her eyes danced with shock and fear as she fell still while sitting up in her bed with her back close to the hollow wall. He watched as she reached down and pulled a blanket up to her neck to cover herself. Even though fur was like clothing it still felt bare and naked compared to clothes on a mental status. He smirked softly at her fretful shyness and pondered what to do. He stood there for a moment just watching her as she sat there, gazing up at him with a half hoping, half expecting look. He could feel the pure tension in the air around them and he could hear her heart beating like a drum. He raised the very tip of his sword slowly to her throat and she flinched lightly at the touch of the cold metal and cringed softly, shivering worse but not breaking her gaze with his eyes as if her life depended on it. He grinned at the look of terror on her face. In that picture of her she'd worn a fine devilish grin herself, but now she was brought down to the core of what was really inside after the walls of confidence and wits were broken down. Pure fear.... At least that's what he saw in most of his victims. He trained his eyes to hers and looked deep into them, searching for the look of pure saturated fear that always took hold of all his victims when crossed with his legendary blade. She looked back at him with a look of fear, but not purely fear. It was a mix of fear, regret, and sorrow... Kimata's grin disappeared as confusion took hold of him. What did she have to regret? Or be sad of? Especially since her life was at the tip of his blade. He thought for a moment and kept his eyes trained on her, trying to think of a response. The brim of his hat that had just barely revealed his eyes now lifted to show the piercing gaze that had been hidden. He saw her shudder and relax and he thought he'd see how this played out. It might be entertaining after all. He opened his mouth and breathed out softly, breaking the icy silence with the soft warm sound of his breath and spoke in a stern yet playful tone. "So this is the legendary thief I am told about? And just how are you so famous? Do you steal hearts, little kitty?" Kimata chuckled as he watched her taken aback look and waited for her response.