~prologue~

Maia Jackson had grown up in a very different world compared to her fellow campers. Her mother had not only been a legacy of Hermes, but she had also been a witch. Her great grandfather had absolutely adored Maia.

Probably because she'd been named after his mother or because she was just as reckless as he was. The only thing that disappointed him, the littlest bit, of course, was that she looked like her father.

Poseidon.

Hermes had thought it kind of weird that his uncle has taken an interest in his granddaughter but... his father had married his sister so...

With Maia not only having the blood of two of the twelve Olympian Gods, but she was also descended from a long bloodline of Jackson witches, so it was safe to say Maia Jackson was not only a strong demigod but a gods' damn powerful one that surpassed many of the demigods of old.

Things could have gone very wrong when Zeus had found out about her existence, but he too had sensed the alikeness Maia had compared to one of his past lovers and he'd come to love the girl as if she was one of his own.

Eventually, the daughter of Poseidon and great granddaughter of Hermes had won over the other nine Olympians as well as her Aunt and Uncle, Hestia and Hades. Even the God of the Seas' wife and heir cherished Maia.

She was practically raised on Olympus, learning from the Olympians and other gods or goddesses visiting. Poseidon and Hermes had both pouted when they found out that Maia favoured Ares and Athena, Hestia and Hecate over them.

When she was sent to Camp Half Blood at eleven, she had immediately been claimed by Hermes. This however had made a few of his children not really like her. Especially Luke Castellan. But he had hidden it well.

Then after being claimed by Poseidon after the hellhound incident...Maia became a total outcast.

The five years at camp had been difficult. Not because she didn't have the skill and talent for all that happened, because she bloody well did, but because she found it so hard to make friends.

When not with the demigods at camp or at Olympus with her father and great grandfather, Maia would be with her mother and stepfather, Sally and Paul in Mystic Falls, playing made up games with her two neighbours, the Salvatore Brothers.

Their father wasn't the nicest man at all, and would often complain to her mother that her behaviour wasn't that of a proper young lady. Hermes had been present one day, and taken on a visage of that of an older man to assume the role as Sally's father, had basically torn him a new one.

Then came the wars.

The one between men and men.

And the one between gods and titans.

Despite her capability and power, the Olympians had almost hidden Maia away, but with the stubbornness that comes with being a daughter of Poseidon and the trickery that comes with being a legacy of Hermes, Maia always got what she wanted.

To lead the demigods and the gods to victory.

And, of course, she won. Alongside the daughter of Zeus, Thalia and the daughter of Ares, Clarisse, Maia led Camp Half Blood into the Second Titan War.

They had lost many...but they had won.

Suddenly...Maia vanished.

Her disappearance had gods and demigods alike up in arms, except one. But the wide spread panic meant her calmness over the situation went unnoticed.

A memory wiped Maia Jackson, a daughter of Neptune and legacy of Mercury was then introduced by the Goddess Juno to the demigods of New Rome.

Her time spent at Camp Jupiter had been, unbeknownst to her at the time, similar to her time at Camp Half Blood. Being treated like an outcast.

Then, after the Second Giant War and Gaia herself, the Greek and Roman demigods declared a truce and a friendship soon developed between the two camps. Finally, there was peace in the world of the Gods.

Secretly...and against the wishes of Maia and her small group of friends, they were made immortal. They would age to a certain point, then freeze and be as such forever.

It was 1858 when a nineteen year old Maia Jackson returned to Mystic Falls for good.

But...all had not been as she hoped.

Her mother had given her a little sister, and...died almost immediately after her birth. It seemed that her baby sister had accidentally drained Sally of her magic whilst in the womb and while she was still pregnant, Estelle had been keeping her alive.

Though sadness had gripped the demigod witch's heart tight, Maia could never blame a child for what had become of her...their...mother. Especially when she knew for sure, that Sally Jackson was most definitely residing in Elysium.

So, she and Paul raised the young girl with memories of a strong woman who would have loved her unconditionally. Not to mention she was a spitting image of Sally.

Maia's relationship with the Salvatores grew and many of the townsfolk believed that a wedding was close in the future between her and Damon.

And perhaps it would have been so, if not for a certain Pierce to arrive in Mystic Falls in 1864.

The Salvatore brothers slowly came to ignoring Maia entirely, and then, practically heartbroken, she disappeared once again with Paul and Estelle.

She never returned to Mystic Falls.

Until now...