Chapter 14

"You haven't asked about the next Lord of Mercia, Lord Erik." Aethelflaed was seated at the table with Erik and Wulfric, eating some breakfast.

Erik shrugged. "Since I killed the last one, I assumed it was not my place. So who is to run Mercia?"

Wulfric answered while Aethelflaed attended to the squirming child in her lap. "It has not yet been decided. There is to be a Witan in Oxenford, but it has been put off so King Edward can attend. For now, he is busy elsewhere."

"Edward will not get a say in the Witan, will he? It's not his kingdom."

"No, but he will exert his influence. Or, more accurately, his advisors will exert their influence."

"But it is not at all clear who will be chosen," Aethelflaed added. "There are no clear contenders."

Erik looked confused. "What about you?"

Aethelflaed waved away Erik's question, as if it was inconsequential.

"You are the clear choice. You have led well. You led the fyrd at Lichfield. You have been the Lady of Mercia for years, why not continue?"

"He's right, my lady," Wulfric interjected. "It's what I've been saying for weeks. You know Mercia better than anyone. The people already trust and respect you. You have a close relationship with Wessex and with Danelaw–" he paused, embarrassed at the implication.

"They will not choose a woman," Aethelflaed said dismissively. "There is no use thinking on it."

"Mercia deserves a strong leader, lady. There is no one better suited than you."

"Wulfric, we have been over this. To even be considered, I would have to push for it, and I do not want to."

"Why not?"

She looked up at Erik, her expression guarded. "Whoever is chosen, I will be ready to offer them my counsel, but I will not be the ruler of Mercia."

"Who sits in Oxenford since Aethelred's death?" Erik asked.

"Aldhelm."

"Aethelred's man?" his tone was apprehensive.

"Not Aethelred's man. Mercia's man."

Erik looked doubtful.

"He has not always be a decent man," Aethelflaed acknowledged, "but he did well in the spring. He foresaw that Aethelred would fail, and he prepared me to lead the men instead. He saw to my safety. He got the men on my side."

Wulfric nodded in agreement. "He's a better man than I thought. If he were Lord of Mercia, he would take your counsel, lady."

They fell silent again, contemplating the future of Mercia. Aelfwynn, not understanding the seriousness of politics, began to cry, and Aethelflaed excused herself to go change the child.

Erik tapped his fingers on the table impatiently. "It should be her, Wulfric. With all the worthless men leading armies and kingdoms, Lady Aethelflaed should have her chance to rule."

"I know it, lord. But she is stubborn. It's what would make her a fine leader and it's what may keep her from becoming one." He looked up at Erik, an odd expression on his face. "Besides, lord, the Lady of Mercia has little freedom. She is watched and judged and held to her duties. I think my lady wants to choose her own path, find her own happiness. I think she has waited for that long enough, don't you?"

Wulfric left the table, not waiting for a reply. His question lingered in the air, kindling hopes Erik had worked hard to dim.

When Erik and Aethelflaed left for their ride, Wulfric settled down in the hall, stretching his leg out onto a bench. He wouldn't let on to Aethelflaed how much it ached, or how quickly it tired. He wasn't certain why; she would not send him away, not after all their years together, but she might urge him to rest more, to let someone else take over some of his duties. He loved his work as the captain of her guard and he wasn't ready to give it up, even if he wasn't fit to do it.