Chapter 16

The first day of the Witan passed uneventfully. The day was short – the gathering did not begin until midday, and the afternoon was spent on introductions, with many ealdermon making speeches about what they thought Mercia needed. Names were offered but there was very little serious discussion on who the Lord of Mercia might be. Edward attended but remained silent, as was right. All the same, Aethelflaed could tell which Mercian ealdermon were being courted by Wessex.

Uhtred attended as well, with his usual crew of men, but said little. It was obvious that some objected to his presence as he was not a lord of Mercia. But he had served Mercia many times and fought alongside enough of the lords for his presence to be begrudgingly accepted. Erik tried to keep a low profile, though his appearance set him apart. Ever the savvy friend, Uhtred dismissed any challenge to Erik's presence, shifting the discussion to more important matters than the presence of Aethelred's murderer. Aethelflaed marvelled at his easy confidence. He knew that half these men hated him and everything he stood for, but he took the floor with ease and spoke over them without even blinking. But then, she supposed, his boldness had always been his weakness as well as his strength. It had gotten him into trouble often enough, including in her father's hall.

When the Witan dispersed, the drinking began. Aethelflaed invited Uhtred and his men to her estate to dine and drink. Erik, who had chosen to stay at the inn for the duration of the Witan, joined them. He was her guest after all, even though she felt uneasy with him after the openness of the day before.

As always, the Coccham crew turned the modest dinner into a raucous celebration. They had a way of drawing everyone into their merriment, including Aethelflaed's guards and servants. Even Aelfwynn was brought into the party and doted on by Finan and Osferth. She was overjoyed for a while, her eyes wide and her laughter easy. But soon she tired and started to cry, and Wulfric swept her away from the men to Aethelflaed's side.

"Thank you, Wulfric. I will put her down. You will stay here and mind the chaos, yes?"

Aethelflaed heaved the squirming child over her shoulder. She was getting heavier. She passed Erik on her way out of the hall. Aethelflaed carried the child to the nursery and set her in her crib, soothing her after the overstimulation of the hall. Aethelflaed sang an old song and rubbed the child's back in slow, even circles. Finally, she heard Aelfwynn's breathing shift.

When Aethelflaed stood to leave she spotted Erik in the doorway, leaning against the frame. She ushered him out of the room and closed the door as softly as possible. Then she led him further down the hallway, out of the range of sensitive young ears.

"I didn't mean to disturb you," he said, his voice low. "I needed a moment away from the noise." Aethelflaed thought back to that evening at his estate, when she had become lost in the dark and found herself in his arms. Did he want that again?

"It's alright." She crossed her arms awkwardly before her.

"You're a good mother. I knew you would be, but to see you with her...she is a lucky girl to have such a home."

Aethelflaed smiled. "She is well-loved, that is certain." Like the day before on the bench, she could feel the space between them. "Did you come looking for me, Erik? Did you want me?"

Erik laughed softly. "I thought I made it clear that I always want you."

"But last time, you said you couldn't risk it. Not without the promise of something more."

"I know what I said. It was stupid. As if I could still guard myself against you. As if you did not already have all of me."

He stepped towards her and she inhaled sharply, as if bracing for his touch. He paused, his face inches from her own. Her reaction had spooked him a little, led him to doubt whether his presence here was welcome. She needed to make the next move.