"Dumb Reckless Gilly"

Okay, what is it with this "dumb reckless Gilly" thing!? I know I've ranted about it before, but I just saw it again and I want to rant about it again (also I have nothing to do right now sooo...Depending on when my dad gets back home with dinner, this is either going to be a really long comment or really short one!)

First of all, she's a thief. Not everyone can just "be a thief". Yes, actions are miss guided, but they are NOT reckless, and it takes a smart mind to be a thief. I mean, imagine Hei Hei from Moana trying to be a thief! (That's the dumbest character I could think of on the spot XD - I love Hei Hei, but there's no denying that he's lacking a bit of brain...) Gilly can use her brain to analyze situations in ways that most people can't even fathom. She is a genius liar, and while that is not the best thing, it takes brain to lie well. So please stop saying she doesn't have a single brain cell!!! And stop saying Ollie doesn't have a single brain cell either. Okay, Ollie's not the brightest bulb in the box, but he is very cleaver in a very specific way and understands how to use his skills to his benefit, which is something most people don't figure out until a lot later in their life so props to Ollie.

Back to Gilly. She's not dumb. She is the oldest of six children and she has to take care of them. She is very educated on nurturing and caretaking. She is VERY educated on shoes. She knows how to be a friend. She knows how to be a fighter. She is lacking in certain areas, but if we think about it, isn't EVERYONE lacking in certain areas? Gilly also happens to be excelling in other areas. Her skills are very different than most, especially for her age, but that does not mean she's crazy or stupid.

About her being reckless? Many fanfictions make her out to be some free willed college kid who sticks their hand out the window of a shiny red sports car while flooring it down a one-way wearing cheap orange sunglasses and singing Party in the USA at the top of her lungs. No...just...

No.

The definition of reckless is "without thinking or caring about the consequences of an action" and reckless behavior means "an activity or behavior in which a reasonable person knew or reasonably should have known that the activity or behavior may result in injury to another" But Gilly did think about it and she does care. I know, up front, it looks like she doesn't and she was just a go-crazy thief, but she DID sort through the possibilities in her head. It was intentional that she took small things that she thought nobody would miss. (I mean, the chances of Blondie actually going back to the clip and then filing a police report were VERY small - maybe the clip was a special gift or something? Gilly just thought it was another trinket she owned, and Blondie was wearing a lot of trinkets...) It was probably just unlucky that Gilly targeted that one, because it probably had a deeper meaning to Blondie - but Gilly didn't think it did! She thought about it! And she weighed it in her head: "Have a royal loose something they probably won't miss, or let my family starve?" I'm NOT justifying her actions, but I'm justifying her mind-set. Gilly thinks things through.

If I may point out, Gilly thought she as only on her first strike! She didn't know Pete documented the goose egg, so I bet she thought FTRS wasn't even in the question. I will admit there there is a bit of recklessness in what she does, but not enough to consider Gilly "reckless".

Most of what people see of her reckless behaviors are just her caretaker instincts. There's a difference between being reckless and being compelled to protect and save.

(My dad still isn't back so I'll give specific examples from every book as far as I can get)

I would like to say before I go deep, that she was much more reckless in the beginning of the series than the end, but not enough to be considered a reckless person.

She wasn't reckless when she took out Harlow, she was compelled to protect and save. Which is something that makes a good hero–not delaying what needs to be done in a moment. Gilly did analyze the situation. FLUNKED page 165: