Can you hold me, please?

All rights go to lovelywanda on AO3

-0-0-0-

The soft and quiet knock on her door was the first thing that awoke Natasha from her slumber. Two quiet knocks rasped against her door, just loud enough for her ears to pick up the noise and pulling her out of her light sleep. She wasn’t sure if she had heard correctly or not so she stayed still in bed, waiting to see if the unknown person behind her door would knock again.

Just a mere thirty seconds later and a second set of knocks came across her door, a little louder this time and almost more frantic. She could hear the soft sniffles of the person who stood behind her door, the small noise causing her to finally sit up in bed and run away the sleep that was in her eyes.

“Nat..” The voice on the other side of the door was barely able to choke out her name between their sobs and Natasha had never jumped out of bed so quickly before. She could recognize that voice anywhere.

She swung the door open and was met face to face with a crying, and awfully distraught Wanda, who upon setting eyes on the red head brought out into another fit of sobs as she wrapped her arms tightly around her waist and buried her face in her shoulder, letting the sobs rack through her body.

“Oh darling..” Natasha spoke softly as her arms reciprocated the tight hold Wanda had on her and held the small woman close to her own body.

The two stood in silence as Wanda continued to cry and Natasha wracked her brain to come up with a valid reason as to why Wanda was crying.

It was to everyone’s knowledge that Natasha was protective of the younger woman. She always looked out for her and defended her in situations that didn’t really need defending, but Natasha had a soft spot in her heart for the little witch. A spot so soft and deep that she rarely let anyone besides Wanda see this side of her.

She continued to hold the younger woman in her arms as she let her cry into her chest. She rested her cheek atop her head and let out a breath, waiting for her to calm down so she could finally ask what was wrong.

Wanda’s deep fried finally turned into soft sniffles that finally turned into silence. Even though she had called herself down enough to stop crying, the soft heartbeat that was emitting from Natasha’s chest was almost like a lullaby to her ears and she didn’t want to pull away from the embrace, she was enjoying being wrapped up in the arms that were tightly bound around her.

Natasha finally pulled away from the embrace after a few minutes of silence from Wanda as she reached a hand up to cup her cheek and make the woman look at her.

“Are you okay kitten?” She asked softly and almost motherly. Wanda absolutely adored the woman that stood in front of her, almost too much and she loved the way Natasha always seemed to take care of her. She wasn’t sure if it was the motherly nature of her actions, or if it was because she was just slightly older than Wanda but she didn’t care, any type of way she could get to be in the presence of her she wasn’t going to protest.

Wanda shook her head in a silent answer as she sniffed again and wiped at her nose with the sleeve of her shirt. Natasha continued to watch her, observing her moves and behaviors, trying her best to try and read the woman in front of her. All of those years of training as a spy really need to pull together for her in this moment.

It wasn’t until Natasha began observing the woman’s face that she noticed the deep gash above her eyebrow, that was covered in dried blood but still looked fresh.

“What the hell happened to your face Wanda?” Wanda fell silent, almost backing away from the older woman as she heard the words escape her lips and turned her head down and away from her gaze.