Chapter 7

The next day proved long but fulfilling. While Dani and Wells worked on getting the generator working and fresh water running through the bunker, Murphy took Charlotte to lay snares and gather more vegetables from the abandoned garden. Unsurprisingly, Murphy and Charlotte were back long before the other two were done. To occupy themselves, they found a stack of board games and took them outside. They were on their third round of Exploding Kittens when Wells came out with a massive grin on his face.

"You're creeping me out with that grin, Junior," Murphy said as he defused his exploding kitten with catnip sandwiches.

"Sorry, not sorry," Wells replied, toning down his grin. "But we did it. We have power, and everything is working. No exploding lights or blown fuses. It's as if this place was frozen in time."

"Where's Dani," Charlotte asked, glancing up at him.

"She's flushing the water system," the older boy said. "She's turning on all the water faucets and checking the water heater and washer. We checked the ventilation system too, and that's working well. So, in all, this is the perfect place for us. We'll even be able to store large slabs of meat for longer. One of the rooms in the decom chamber is a meat locker."

Murphy whistled low, "Means we can go after bigger game and not worry about the meat spoiling or figuring out how to preserve it."

"Well, I found a dehydrator and smoker in the kitchen," Wells replied. "That way, I guess, when we're out and about, we can carry food with us more easily."

"I can see some overnight exploration now," Murphy sighed. "That'll make Dani's day."

"What'll make my day," Dani asked as she came out of the bunker.

"The fact that we're no longer limited to traveling for half a day before we need to turn back," Murphy grumbled. "Or carrying dead whatever with us all day."

Dani nodded, smiling, "Yeah, that'll be nice. But that won't be for a bit. We need to stock up on supplies before we do that kind of adventuring. But as to the state of the bunker, the water's flushed, heater's filling up, and the refrigerator, freezer, and meat locker temperatures are dropping. I checked the grid and so far haven't seen any signs of drops or fluctuations. Which means we are good to move into our new home."

"Great," Murphy said, stretching. "Munchkin here has beaten me twice at this damn game. I need a break."

Dani crouched and looked at the box, "Exploding kittens? Weird, but I guess it's whatever. Now, I hate to break it to ya, but all we have are a few veggies to feed the four of us. We need to hunt, and there's no greater motivator for working on stealth than food. So, if y'all are up for it, we should grab our gear and head out."

The others agreed, and after cleaning up the games, they headed out into the forest. Dani finally got to use her bow during the hunt, bringing down two fat grouse. With the bunker now functioning, they wanted more and continued. All the while, Dani was quietly instructing them to walk through the forest without noise or leaving a trail. It would take practice, but they would eventually get there.

Just after midday, they came across an older buck. It had an impressive rack of antlers, but since they'd never seen the like, everything was exceptional. Dani let Murphy and Wells take the lead, keeping Charlotte back while readying herself if they needed help. The boys both threw their spears, and both struck true, but neither of them were kill shots. The buck shot off, and everyone gave chase, though Dani did ensure that Charlotte didn't fall behind. The buck grew tired, and the group was able to corner it. Murphy aimed with his knife and struck it in the eye. It went down with a pitiful sound. Wanting to prove his worth, Wells went to the buck, pulled the knife out of the eye, and slit its throat, ensuring that it was dead. Murphy joined him by the deer, slapping his back in approval. Dani and Charlotte went to find a sturdy enough stick and some vines to carry it back. Tired but satisfied, they headed back to the bunker.

Once back, they set about preparing the animals. While Dani showed Charlotte how to pluck the birds, the boys took care of the buck. It was nightfall by the time they were done, but it didn't deter them from the euphoria of a successful day. They ate one of the grouse with the last of the vegetables. The buck and second bird were stored in the meat locker. The antlers ended up sitting lonely in the antechamber while the feathers were stored in the workroom. Besides sleeping in real and comfortable beds, the best thing about ending the day was experiencing hot showers that weren't timed. They all fell asleep with smiles on their faces and slept deeply without fear for the first time.

After a breakfast of leftover bird, Dani took them out to begin their training. Since exercise wasn't a thing on the Ark, they started with strength and endurance training. Dani followed it with defense training. They worked until the sun was high, and everyone, except Dani, felt like jelly. Dani cut some of the buck and prepared steaks for lunch. The rest of the day, she and Wells worked on the band while Charlotte took a nap, and Murphy went to check the snares and grab some more vegetables. He came back to the trio watching a movie on the big screen in the living room. After cleaning up, Murphy joined them, and Dani snuggled into him as they watched the movie.

When it was time to turn in for the night, Murphy followed Dani into the master bedroom. He shut the door behind him as she readied herself for bed.

"What're we doing, Dani," Murphy asked, leaning against the door.

Dani peered at him curiously, "What do you mean, John?"

He pushed away from the door and walked closer to her, "I mean, you've been awful touchy-feely with me. You've never seemed interested in me before, so I gotta know, what's changed?"

Dani stepped up to him, sighing and laying a hand on his chest, smoothing the fabric of his shirt, "I don't know what's changed or if anything has. I've always liked you, John. As a friend, you've been my rock. My steadying force. I've always felt safe around you, knowing you had my back and were there for me. And I know I don't show it, but I'm scared." She gazed into his blue eyes. "I am so scared that even with everything we're doing, my father will still win. That I will die for no reason other than his say-so. But when I'm with you, that fear falls away. I feel safe and comforted. And that maybe, just maybe, that bastard won't win."

"That explains some of it, Dani," Murphy softly spoke, reaching up and cupping her face. Dani closed her eyes and leaned into the touch. "But what about the kissing? That's more than a friend thanking another."

She smiled, opening her eyes, "I know. Honestly, I don't know, but it feels right, John. Even now, it feels right. And before you ask, whatever this is has nothing to do with Clarke. She's not even in the equation. But if you want me to stop, I will. I won't risk our friendship."

"I didn't say that," he quietly protested. "I just want to understand."

Dani nodded against his hand, frowning as she tried to find the words to what she was feeling, "I don't know if what I'm feeling is the love between partners, but when we kiss, there's something there. Something deeper. I don't know if I'm making sense."

"You're making sense, Dani," Murphy said, pulling her closer by her hip and sliding his hand to cup the back of her head. "I feel it too. How about this? We see where this goes, and at any time we start to feel uncomfortable or even want to take on other partners, we talk it out. We figure out if we want to continue or end this. I think it's safe to say that neither one of us is ready nor will be ready to tie ourselves down. Kinda like free spirits."

Dani chuckled, "I can agree to that. The last thing I want to do is lose you, John. I can't lose you."

"And you won't," Murphy promised, searching her face. "I'll always be here, Dani. I'm going to kiss you now."

Dani laughed but was silenced as he pulled her into a kiss. This was deep and a bit demanding that had them both moaning. Dani clutched him close as his arms wrapped around her. The angles changed as they sought air; their eyes darkened as their arousal built.

The last thing either one of them said was Dani breathlessly saying, "Take me to bed, John."

Which he eagerly did, andit was a long, long time before sleep claimed them.