Chapter 20

It had been two days, well, nearly two days since the fuck up (at least, that's what Dani called it in her head), and Dani was feeling restless and maybe a tad claustrophobic. In her defense, she'd spent more time indoors in the last week than she had since coming to the ground. The tall brunette had gotten used to and often preferred being outdoors. But ever since being resuscitated, it was almost as if her skin crawled being physically inside the bunker. Dani knew it was most likely in her head, but it didn't help ease the tension she felt building inside her.

To make matters worse, this was the first time since Dani's forced bed rest after the machine press incident that she found herself with nothing to do. For as long as Dani could remember, she'd always been active, always doing something. With the radios built and the dropship's communication ruined, the brunette had nothing to do. They didn't even need to hunt or gather. Wells had taken over their greenhouse and hydroponic farm, cultivating and drying the plants and making the medicine, teas, and anything else you could make with plants. Murphy had the food well in hand, and Charlotte helped whoever needed it. And since their return, the blonde teen had determined that Dani needed her help, barely leaving her side in the last two days.

It made Dani wonder if someone could go stir-crazy after so little time.

But thanks to Wells asking Charlotte for help, Dani found her chance to temporarily escape, even if it was just outside the bunker.

Dani looked over her shoulder down the hall as she rushed into the living room. Her entrance made Murphy pause the movie he was watching and smirk at the tall brunette's antics.

"And where do you think you're going, young lady," Murphy teased, an eyebrow quirked and the smirk firmly in place.

Dani startled, her step stuttering, and gripped her jarred ribs, "Jesus, Murph. Warn a girl."

The brunette boy chuckled, "I believe a certain someone is supposed to be on bed rest."

Dani rolled her eyes and moved toward the antechamber entrance where their boots were kept, "Well, a certain someone is in desperate need of some fresh air. And other someones are being...something."

Murphy stood and leaned against the couch's armrest, crossing his arms as he watched her, "So, is this a jailbreak while the warden is distracted and busy?"

Dani braced against the wall as she wiggled her feet into her boots, "More like yard time. I'm feeling weird like I need to be outside. I feel like...like...."

"Like you're caged," Murphy hazarded, relaxing and bracing his arms on the armrest.

Dani turned to lean against the wall, tucking her hands in her pockets and tilted her head to the side as she thought about it. "Maybe," she sighed. "But it's more than that. I just don't know how to explain what's all in my head and what I'm feeling."

"Which is why you're looking to get out and have some space," Murphy said in understanding.

Dani softly smiled and walked over to him. Laying her arms around his neck as he loosely wrapped his around her, she slowly leaned down and languidly kissed him. When they parted, the taller brunette lay her head against Murphy's, "I love you."

Murphy softly chuckled, "I should hope so since you're leaving me to deal with Braids."

Dani smirked and leaned back slightly, her fingers running through the back of his hair, "Mmm, while I do appreciate you running interference, it's that you get me, John. Even when I don't understand myself, you do, and I love you for that. One of the many reasons I do."

"You're gonna make me blush, Sully," Murphy cheekily replied.

She leaned down and kissed him again, "We wouldn't want that now, would we? I'll be in clear view of the cameras."