Chapter 12

Dani shot up, chest heaving as she gasped for air, heart pounding and sweat soaking her shirt. She looked wildly about as terror gripped her and adrenaline pumped through her veins. Slowly, her mind loosened its grip, but the feelings remained. Dani needed to move, needed air, needed out of such a confined space. But looking, the light stayed red over the hatch, and she whimpered. The sound of cloth rustling had her covering her mouth as she looked at the sleeping figure on the lone bunk. When nothing happened, Dani shakily got to her feet and paced the length of the bunker. Trying to shake loose the hold her night terror had on her.

But the silence wasn't helping; it only amplified the noise in her head. Dani walked to the two doors. Opening one, she found a decontamination room. She closed that door and opened the other to reveal a bathroom of sorts. Dani immediately went to the sink and turned the faucet on. Water rushed out, and she dipped her hand in, cupping it as she lowered her head and sipped the minerally filtered water. Dani's thirst slackened; she splashed water on her face, hoping it would dispel the feelings and voices in her head.

Dani placed her hands on the sink and leaned forward. Slowly, hesitantly, she raised her head to gaze at her reflection. Dani didn't like what she saw. She looked haunted. Her tanned skin was pale as water dripped from her face. Usually bright amber eyes that showed confidence were now dull, fearful and vulnerable. The voices in her head grew louder, taunting, ridiculing, hateful.

Mutt.

Freak.

Abomination.

Reject.

Murderer.

Mother killer.

Waste of air.

Just die already.

Monster.

Round and round they went as cruel laughter circled. Dani flinched as phantom hits, and phantom pain rippled over her body. Anger replaced the fear. Her lip lifting in a snarl, and a growl building in her throat. In a flash, her fist connected with the mirror. It shattered, and the sound of tinkling glass filled the space amidst her heavy breathing. Dani's image was suddenly multiplied. Her face filling smaller pieces. Her eyes there. Lips here. Her reflection deformed.

Real pain quieted the voices and laughter in her mind. Dani's breath slowed, and she gently removed her fist from the mirror. More glass fell, and the sound was a quiet cascade of clinking. She shuddered as the cool air pressed sweat-soaked fabric to her back. Feeling disconnected, Dani examined her hand. Her knuckles were busted and bleeding, with tiny bits of mirror peeking out. She painstakingly removed the bits with lips pressed firmly together before putting her hand beneath the flowing water. Dani watched unseeing as the water tinged pink before slipping down the drain. She turned the water off with a heavy sigh and sat at the table with the open medkit.

Dani cleaned the cuts on her knuckles, pulling out the smaller bits of the mirror with a tweezer. In her own world, she didn't hear Clarke move from the cot to stand near her.

"Dani," Clarke quietly called to the brunette, her voice raspier from sleep.

Dani stiffened at the sound of her voice but then went back to her ministrations.

Clarke's heart broke seeing Dani shutting down. She wracked her brain, trying to figure out how to help her. Deciding not to push, the blonde silently took over cleaning and bandaging Dani's hand. The brunette let her still lost in her mind. Then she shivered, and Clarke noticed that Dani's shirt was soaked through.

"Dani, you're soaked. You need to get out of that shirt. Did you bring any extra clothes," Clarke quietly asked.

Dani woodenly nodded and allowed Clarke to remove her shirt. Shivering even more now, Dani watched as Clarke laid her shirt on the other chair and went to her ruck. The need to ground herself had Dani out of her chair and coming up behind Clarke. She spun the blonde around, making her gasp in surprise, and crashed their lips together. Dani invaded Clarke's mouth, and their tongues were soon dancing to a familiar tune.