Chapter 2 : Puzzle

Many months had passed since Rock's master plan, that would eventually change Roanapur forever, aiming at exposing the town's true nature. However, nothing had really changed. Fabiola was right and Rock could now see it with his very own eyes. He had failed, his revenge on the city of the dead was nothing but a fake, an act. He had lost to Chang and that hurt his pride even more. Although, that was not the only thing that tormented the former salary man's mind. Revy's attitude towards him was the only thing that had actually changed. Despite still following him everywhere, her demeanor had become somewhat cold, as if they had returned to their starting point.
Rock would spend whole hours thinking of Revy, trying to understand who she really is and what she truly wants. It was as if he was trying to solve a puzzle. Digging his memories of the redhead again and again he was searching for clues that could help him understand. And then he finally found it, the one moment that started his savior complex. It was their first ever fight, during that mission on the U-boat. Rock could remember clearly now. It felt as if Revy was in that moment in front of him explaining to the Japanese man her theory of the world. Before that conversation, Rock would think of Revy as an unbeatable force, but what she told him back then, changed his view. After remembering their confrontation at that restaurant, he finally understood, that all he wanted was to save his partner, the person who set him free from his superiors' manipulation. Yeah he was sure now. If he could save one person, that one person would be Revy definitely. But he was still confused. Revy always had his back, she had saved him many times, she would also react angrily when women where trying to flirt with him and then, Revy even encouraged him to return to his homeland. But apart from all that she was always whining for him not belonging to Roanapur. Her behaviour towards him was contradictory, why was that? What does he truly meant to her? That was the one last question bothering Rock.
Eventually their payment for helping the US soldiers came. Dutch brought a bag with 5 grand to Rock, while the Japanese man was sitting on their boat's deck, smoking. The purplish night sky certainly could bring peace in his mind, but his eyes were set to the city's lights. "Someone, somewhere outdid me..." he mumbled. After a while footsteps where heard. Rock didn't bother to see who it was being lost in his thoughts. That certain someone walked till the place where Rock was sitting, and then took Rock's unfinished cigarette from his mouth. "How does it feel to watch the city with eyes full of life?" a familiar female voice asked. The Jap didn't speak, he just kept watching the city. Revy, formed a handgun with her right hand and aimed at Roanapur, "Bang" she said pretending to shooting the city like a child playing with it's peers. Rock did the same gesture but instead of shooting he kept aiming at the city. "You know, maybe you can reach that point someday" Revy playfully said. Her partner in crime though didn't change his serious expression, "I would like to but I don't think I will. I've been thinking about it and I decided to follow your advise..." he said still not looking towards the redhead. Revy sat next to Rock and gave him a beer can which he accepted, "What do you mean?" she softly asked. "You are right, maybe I'm not really cut out for this, so I might leave this cursed place..." Revy who was looking at him till then turned away, her expression seemed a bit sad. Rock noticed her reaction, and continued "I will only leave though if a certain someone wants to tag along" he said smiling while turning his gaze to the purplish night sky. Revy was looking the dark waters. He will leave? Whom he wants to take with him? What am I supposed to do without him? Those were some of the questions buzzing around her head. Rock didn't give any more explanations till he finished his beer.
"You know, those past months I've been thinking a lot about you..." he started to say, "That's gross" Revy interrupted making him blush a bit. Thank God she couldn't see his reaction thanks to the night. "No, no, not in that way. I meant that I think I understand how you were led here" Rock said. There he goes again saying that he understands her. "Nobody understands the shit I've gone through. Stop pretending you know everything asshole!" she said angered pointing her gun again towards the man. "Come on Revy you know that this reaction doesn't work on me" Rock said turning his gaze towards his partner's face. Their glances met for a bit before Revy turned away again, now looking towards the city. "Well maybe I don't totally understand you, but I don't want to talk about that, it concerns me but its your own choice if you want to tell me or not" he explained and Revy's expression became confused. The Japanese man was ready to add the last remaining pieces to the difficult puzzle named Revy. He then took a deep breath and continued, it was now or never, "What I really want to learn, is what I truly mean to you" he said trying to reach the redhead's eyes with his own. Revy was left with her mouth a bit agape, she was totally caught off guard. What am I supposed to say? I can't tell him otherwise he will stay here in this misery. I just can't bear watching him that miserable. He's even worse now than after the suicide of the yakuza girl. What should I do? She just was unable to look at Rock's deep brown eyes.
The tension of the pair filled the air enough so that none of them noticed Benny who appeared behind them. "Revy close your mouth, you know that maybe a fly will enter..." he while chuckling. Rock noticed too, his partner's face at the moment was precious. "Stop laughing you dumbasses cause I won't hesitate donating both of you new assholes" she said as soon as she came to her senses. Benny laughed again "Well Dutch says that since tomorrow we won't be working this is a good chance to have fun drinking..." the blond added, "I will pay for em, to the Yellow Flag right?" Rock asked when he stood up, with a smile on his face. Benny gave him a thumbs up. "Yeah! free drinks! I hope you won't be stingy Mr Rock" Revy said regaining her usual loud tone. The Jap gave her a smile and went ahead in order to meet up with Dutch and Benny at the dock. What he didn't noticed though was a small blush that appeared in Revy's face. 'Damn you are the terrifying Two Hands! And yet you have fallen for that asshole! Curse you! How can you expect such a person fall for a killer, for a used up whore like you' she thought and then remembered her old man. That was the way he usually was talking to her, even after her being raped, even before his death. At least some alcohol would help her silence those memories.
It was 23:00 when they arrived to the bar. As usual Bao's "shop" was full of people. "Ah Two Hands" Bao said with a menacing look on his face once he saw the Lagoon Company "Don't you dare start a gunfight in my bar this time!". To be honest Bao's "Yellow Flag" had been destroyed many times in the past thanks to fights, and Revy had started a good deal of them. After 3 hours of drinking and having fun Dutch and Benny left. "Rock keep an eye on her she has drunk more than usual, I don't want paying again for repairs" Dutch said to a still not drunk Rock, "Yeah I just hope she doesn't make me spend more money on her drinks. Night guys" the Japanese said loudly so that the drunk Revy could hear him. "Oh come on Rocky, I told ya not to be stingy! Come let's have fun dancing!" she said and grabbed his hand. "Revy I doubt that you can dance in this state", "Well then, Bao bring another Bacardi bottle!" she screamed towards the poor barman. "Damn you will make us seem ridiculous. Come on we are leaving!" Rock commanded and started to drag her outside the bar. "I will take you to my apartment since it's close. Ok?" "Yes sir!" Revy said as she was hanging from Rock's shoulders. Rock made a facepalm. Poor guy.
After some minutes they managed to reach Rock's apartment. It was too clean to belong to a man. Revy sometimes felt jealous for it as hers was like a battlefield, but this time she couldn't really say anything. Rock put her on the bed "Want to have a bath?" he asked. "Nope just leave me be" was what she managed to say. "Ok then, you sleep here. I will have a bath and then go rest on the sofa" Rock said as he left the room.
The former salary man was enjoying his bath when the door opened. "Damn what do you want Revy?" he asked feeling annoyed. Revy entered the bath "I want to take a piss" she bluntly said. But then she noticed Rock trying to hide his occult points, "Well, well Rocky Baby why haven't you show me this before? Who could have imagined that you are so sexy?" she said with lust in her voice making him blush. Was she teasing him or was she sincere? By looking briefly her eyes, Rock saw that it was a bit different from when she usually teased him. "I'm too tired Revy, I want to sleep, please don't destroy the home. 'Night" the Jap quickly said in embarassment and left the bathroom. "It's you who lose!" she said and burst into laughter. After Revy finished she managed to reach the bed after having fallen 2 or 3 times on the floor. Some minutes later she could be heard snoring. "Damn, I really need to cut off her drinking habits" were Rock's final words before sleeping.

(Note)
Yep I know I'm not that great of a writer. My text has many flaws, but I would appreciate a critique on my first 2 chapters. Please somebody write something ... Thanks