51-55

51. Tuanzi's secretive actions

"It can turn invisible?!"

"No, it became transparent!" He Zizhong ignored his meal, put the plate with rice in his hand aside and carefully observed the white ball that suddenly disappeared.

The outline of Tuanzi was still there, but its appearance was barely visible. Because its whole body became like water, it was quite transparent, but this kind of transparency was incomplete. It's okay if one does not pay attention, but the light distortion and outline was visible when looking carefully.

"Maybe... it works!" The two looked at each other and nodded vigorously.

At midnight, a weird, transparent thing bounced from the villa area towards the south gate.

"Puff, puff, puff..."

"Huh? What sound was that?" A group of soldiers who were patrolling suddenly stopped, picked up their guns and patrolled around.

"Did you get it wrong?"

"Was it a bird?"

"What bird makes that sound? It sounds like something in a video game."

"Whose playing a game?"

"The base has limited power. Who can play video games in the middle of the night so extravagantly?"

The group carefully searched the surroundings for a long time, but they couldn't find anything strange. Now the plants in the base are the same as outside, basically all withered. There is nothing in the base except human buildings, and naturally there will be no birds either.

After searching for a long time, they couldn't find anything weird. These soldiers could only assume they had tinnitus and had misheard. Although a group of people mishearing at the same time was a bit creepy, in the weird world they lived in now, everything was different. With humans turning into cannibalizing monsters, strange sounds was nothing in comparison.

About five minutes after the patrol left, the air in a shadowy corner twisted, and something that was originally unseen suddenly appeared.

The mass of air twisted to the left, looked to the right, and confirmed that there was no one around before it bounced southward with a 'thump, puff, puff' sound.

A truck carrying ashes drove from the incinerator to the south gate. Because refugees in the waiting area at the north gate could suddenly become zombies, although the number was not as high as before, the incinerator ran several times a day, and so too would the work of transporting the ashes.

The person in the co-pilot seat rubbed his eyes and looked in the rearview mirror casually. He seemed to vaguely see the air behind the car distort. "Huh?"

"What's wrong?" the driver asked quickly. They were also survivors from the base. It was only because the work of transporting ashes is more profitable, that they took up this kind of unlucky job. Those "corpses" were also very evil, so there was always a particularly creepy feeling at work, and their nerves were always subconsciously tense.

"No... maybe it's a trick of the light." The person in the front passenger seat rubbed his eyes uncertainly. After all, he didn't seem to see anything, but... the air seemed to twist?

"Don't... don't get dizzy. What did you see?" The driver felt his legs weaken. Not being able to explain something was scarier than seeing whatever the heck he just saw!

"No, it's not that...it's a bit like a mirage, hot air, water vapor." The man thought for a while, and patted his leg with certainty. "Yes! That's the feeling, some times the heating by the window in winter is not good. It's just a gust of hot air!"