dream university- specs

- I didn't proof read this properly so there may be mistakes!

This story is about specs finally getting into his dream university after years of thinking he wouldn't because of him growing up as a newsie.

***

Specs was the smartest newsie and everyone knew it. Despite being a newsie he'd always try to learn something new from reading the papers he was selling, which not many of the other newsies did as they didn't know how to read. Specs was lucky though as he had a few years of school before his newsie days started so he knew how to do basic things like read and write.

He spent a lot of his spare time in the library and after the newsies strike Katherine tutored him for a while, he even helped her write news stories every so often.

Ever since he was 10, Specs had wanted to go to New York University (NYU). He'd walk past the campus every day on his newsies round and just dream of the endless possibilities of what it would be like to go there. Honestly he didn't think this was possible, that was until Jack introduced him to Medda and Katherine.

He'd go to Katherines every Sunday for tutoring, she'd help him with his writing skills because Specs wanted to become a journalist like Katherine and he looked up to her like an older sister.

He became very close friends with Medda and she helped him with his university applications and promised to pay his tuition fee, he felt bad for letting her pay but he couldn't do anything else because he was broke. So he promised to always do anything Medda needed, he even performed with her one night and it was the most free he'd felt in years.

He couldn't wait to get out of the newsie life. As much as he loved his friends and loved doing what he wanted, he would finally be able to get a job that pays enough to look after himself and he wouldn't be living off scraps on the street. He didn't even know if he was going to get accepted yet, he wasn't sure how his interview wane either he thinks it was good but he was so nervous he can barely remember it.

The other newsies in the lodging house would always say that 'he's gonna be the first to make it out' and this made Specs nervous just in case he didn't get accepted, but the newsies knew he was smart enough to get in and we're extremely proud of their friend either way. He was the one who taught the other newsies how to read and made sure they had some sort of education even if it wasn't much. The letter telling him whether he was accepted or not was being addressed to Medda's theatre because there was no way it would survive five seconds in the lodging house.

June 30th 1901
He had changed his usual selling spot for a few weeks to cover Jack and Crutchies usual area because they were having their long awaited Santa Fe holiday, so he wasn't really thinking of NYU as much and had completely forgotten that the acceptance letters were coming out within those few weeks.

'Hey Specs!' Someone shouted from behind, he turned around to see Jack stood there.
'Hey Jack, I didn't think you were coming back yet.' Specs was honestly very confused and surprised at Jacks sudden presence.
'We can talk about that later, Medda sent me to find you she wants you in the theatre come on let's go.'

He'd just sold his final paper of the day so he honestly didn't mind, he was very confused still though but he knew Jack was up to something because of how quiet the streets were without any newsies and how quiet Jack was being.

After 10 minutes they finally got to the theatre, they walk in to find all of the Manhattan newsies, Medda and Katherine stood on the stage and Medda holding a letter. Specs instantly started to freak out, it was his letter from NYU.  He didn't know what was inside it and he was scared, that one letter held information that could change his whole future.

'Open it.' Medda said enthusiastically giving him a warm smile.
'Open it, open it, open it, open it,' the newsies chanted.
'Can you all shut up, yer making him more nervous than he needs to be' shouted Jack.

Specs turned away from everyone else and slower peeled the envelope nervous to see the inside. As he pulled it out it read:

Dear Samuel Johnson

We are excited to inform you that you have been accepted into New York University and we can't wait to have you start in September.

Please write back to us by July 12th to secure your place for next year and once it is secured you will receive more information about your timetable and living arrangements.

Thankyou.

Yours Sincerely,
_______________
New York University Principal.

Specs was shocked at what he had just read, he had done it.  He turned back around to see everyone looking at him with hopeful eyes.

'I DID IT!' He shouted.
The newsies erupted into cheers and they all had a big party in Meddas theatre that lasted all night.

He was the happiest he had ever been, and he was so proud of himself and it made him realise hard work really does pay off.

Specs was hope for the newsies, hope that they could make it out and turn their lives around. That night was one of pure celebration that they would all remember for the rest of their lives.

***

Jonna was not happy with me for my last headcannon so i promised her happy specs, here you go jonna

I hope you guys liked it, feel free to request me a newsie to do next!