living with the jacobs- davey, sarah and les

This story is kind of just a look inside of the Jacobs household and seeing what they get up to, it's a bit random but we move 💀. It's also from the authors point of view which is pretty swaggy.

***

It was a warm Saturday morning in the middle of July and Davey and Les were getting ready for a day selling papes whilst their older sister Sarah was getting ready for school. Davey was extremely jealous of Sarah for still being able to go to school and didn't understand why she couldn't go to work and they're 10 year old brother could. It made no sense to him, the kid hadn't even gone through puberty yet and he was hauling his ass around the dirty streets of New York pretending to be a dying orphan to sell newspapers. Surely there was some sort of job for women, look at Katherine and Pulitzers assistant.

 As you can see Davey and Sarah weren't getting along very well at the minute, I don't think they've been nice to each other at all since their fathers accident at the factory. This was mostly due to Davey's jealousy of not being able to go to school and him not wanting to look after his little brother all of the time. It's not that he didn't love Les- it was just the fact that Davey needed a break from the sassy child.  

Davey has had this argument with his parents and Sarah since they became newsies, I mean don't get me wrong Les loves the newsie life but it isn't safe in conditions like that at such a young age and that's what Davey is trying to get across to everyone (this earning him a "Chillax it ain't that bad when I's here to protect ya" from Jack Kelly, which gives Davey no reassurance at all). 

Sarah and Davey glared at each other as they both exited their rooms and sat down at the family dining table.

"Are you guys seriously still going at this sibling rivalry nonsense?" Questioned Mrs Jacobs with a loud sigh.

No response.

"You two seriously need to grow up and start acting like adults!" Continued Mrs Jacobs. 

"I don't think Sarah will ever be an adult if she refuses to help her family and get a job." Said Davey with clear jealousy and anger in his tone.

"David! I am ashamed at you, you and Les make more than enough money for the family selling newspapers."

"Les shouldn't be out there-" 

"Oh will you shut up already! Les clearly enjoys it and before you say it's not safe you have that lovely cowboy lad who keeps him safe." Replied Sarah, cutting off Davey in the process which very noticeably pissed him off.

"His name's Jack Kelly!" Shouted Les as he walked into the room.

"Ah right sorry, Jack the cowboy."

"And Davey stop trying to take away my newsie life, just because I'm better at selling papes than you." 

"I- no. That's not the reason at all-"

"Then what is the reason Dave?" Questioned Sarah, who intentionally cut off Davey once again as she knew he would get mad.

"HES TEN! HE NEEDS AN EDUCATION, HE NEEDS TO GO TO SCHOOL AND LEARN SO HE CAN GET A GOOD JOB AND NOT NEED TO RELY ON HIS KIDS TO GET HIM MONEY WHEN HES OLDER!" This clearly struck a nerve with Mrs Jacobs and also Mr Jacobs who had just walked into the room after being woken up by all of the commotion.

Everyone went silent. 

 They all grabbed their porridge (or oatmeal as you Americans like to say) Mrs Jacobs had made them for breakfast and sat down to eat it in silence. 

Sarah now kind of understood where Davey was coming from, well she did all along but just didn't admit it because she doesn't want to give up school. She decided not to say anything though because she couldn't handle both an angry Les and a cocky Davey at the same time. She only had this year left of school anyway and then she was done, she really wanted to finish as she wanted to become a journalist. She didn't think that was possible at first but then she met Katherine at the newsies strike which changed her whole perspective.

She already had a job lined up for after school finished anyway, she didn't want to tell her family yet though because she was nervous they'd pull her out of school and make her do something else earlier on- especially after Daveys recent little outburst. 

Next year Sarah Jacobs was going to become the one and only Katherine Plumbers assistant which will make two times the amount of money her brothers make selling newspapers. 

She now realized she couldn't keep quiet and  needed to tell Davey so he could stop being mad at her for being 'selfish' (Daveys words) for not quitting school and getting a job. 

"Hey Dave, can I talk to you for a minute? Asked Sarah in a gentle tone.  

Davey was beyond confused on why she was being so nice but said yes anyway. 

They went into Sarahs bedroom and spoke through her plan for school, her new job, etc and came up with a plan for their family. They agreed that things will stay the same until Sarah finishes school and then when her new job with Katherine starts, Davey and Les will go back to school whilst also selling on the weekends with Jack and the other newsies so they still get a bit of the newsie life.

They also had an idea for Davey to do some reading and writing lessons for the newsies as well if they were up for it, so they can get some sort of education to. 

After finishing up their planning it was pretty much time for Davey and Les to leave so after they left Sarah explained the plan to their parents (who were completely on board and very happy about it) before leaving for school. 

I have to say, that was one of the most intense and uncomfortable mornings ever in the Jacobs household but now everything was finally back to normal... The only difference was that it was better, for all of them. It was like a very large weight had been lifted off of all of their shoulders and things were finally turning upwards for them. 

***

Ahhh I hope you enjoyed this headcannon! I really enjoyed writing this, if you want more like this please let me know! Also requests are open so you can give me a request for any newsie and situation and I will do it (unless its uncomfortable for me to write because well bounderies). :)))