first date- smallsper (smalls and sniper)

For reference this is boysie Sniper and girlsie Smalls but honestly you can interpret it either way!

This story is about Sniper being scared to ask Smalls out on a date not realising she likes him back.

***

Sniper was pacing around the lodging house with a notepad and pencil, writing down any ideas to ask out Smalls and where he could take her that came into his head.

The page read:

Ways to ask out Smalls and date ideas.
Flowers and chocolate,
walk around central park,
Meddas theatre,
picinic date??
Jacobi's

He was really struggling to come up with an idea, I mean there's not much a newsie can do with the amount of money they earn. He was tempted to ask Jack how he does stuff for Katherine but he didn't feel like they were close enough for that.

'Ughhhh' Sniper groaned, as he fell backwards onto his bed.

'Whoa you okay there Sniper?' questioned Tommy Boy, causing Sniper to look up. He hadn't realised that Tommy Boy, Race and Albert had all come in from outside.

'Oh hey guys, I didn't see you come in, I'm fine!' Sniper said unconvincingly. The truth was, Sniper hadn't told anyone in the lodging house about his crush on Smalls, he was too nervous.

'Lies!' Shouted Race as he grabbed Snipers notepad. All three boys looked at the notepad and burst into loud laughing fits. This caused more newsies to come in and see what all of the fuss was about, Sniper was beyond embarrassed as Jack, Katherine (who he hadn't even realised was at the lodging house today) and Crutchie all walked into the room.

'Ay what's all the noise about?' Jack asked.

'SNIPER LIKES SMALLS AND WANTS TO ASK HER OUT!' Albert screamed at the top of his voice. The three boys burst out laughing once again and the couple that was Jatherine just stood there smiling at Sniper like proud parents, Crutchie on the other hand was trying to get the boys to stop laughing because he didn't like people being mean in the lodging house. (bless him)

'Okay then, let's help him get his girl!' Said Katherine very enthusiastically which earned her a strange look from the boys. 'What? I love love.' She said through giggles. Jack was astounded and confused on where this energy was when he flirted with her before the strike but he knew why she was so excited. Smalls had told them a week before that she had a crush on Sniper, so they were happy their OTP was finally happening.

They planned for hours the perfect way for Sniper to ask Smalls out on a date and how to set up something and after a long time of plotting, arguing and excitement; Sniper was ready.

About an hour later- around six o clock in the evening- an angry Smalls burst into the lodging house. Sniper was taken aback and wondered whether it was the right time to ask. Jack clearly knew what was going threw the boys mind and gave him a smile telling him to go on and that he'd be fine. Of course Jack actually knew that Smalls would be over the moon because he knew she liked Sniper, she had since the newsies strike.

'Uh Smalls, can I talk to you for a second?' Questioned Sniper in quite a nervous tone, he was terrible at hiding the fact that he was nervous but he was way to scared to think about that right now.

Smalls let out a sigh and nodded, she had clearly not had a good day but followed the nervous boy up to Jacks penthouse. This is where she instantly knew something was happening because Sniper never comes up here as he was always a bit weary of Jack (no one knew why that was he was probably just intimidated).

Smalls was suddenly shocked when they got up onto the penthouse to see loads of candles lined up and then she felt like she was going to burst into tears when Sniper turned around to her with a beautiful bunch of handpicked roses, which Katherine had helped him get.

'Smalls, I's been meanin' to ask you this for the longest time but I's been to scared. I was wondering if you wanted to come on a date with me to uh Jacobi's tomorrow? I's got a reservation and I'm payin' and um we could maybe go on a walk under the stars after?'

'I'd love to!' Smalls was now beaming with joy, forgetting about the day she'd had.

'Wait what really?'

'Yes really, I's like you Snipes'

'Wait really? I's like you to Smalls'

And that was that, the new lovers stayed on Jacks penthouse for a while talking and looking at the stars and then the next night they went on their date which ended up being the first of many. They enjoyed themselves and both felt a large weight being lifted off of their shoulders, they felt happy with each other and knew that there was no one else they'd rather be living their lives with.

***

Ahhh I love smallsper so much, like i said you could interpret sniper and smalls as any gender i've just used she/her pronouns for Smalls and he/him for Sniper because that's what i'm used to knowing them as!

I hope you enjoyed this headcannon and I am happy to take ideas of characters and scenarios you want me to do!