Chapter 2

She was quite nervous when she walked into the new school for the first time. People were looking at her, some interested, some with mocking grins on their faces. She looked away and concentrated on the map she'd received. Her first lesson was Biology. Great, she thought ironically, but walked away towards the classroom.

She was a bit late thanks to the visit at the principal's office, but the teacher smiled at her.

"Ah, you must be Ashley Tyler", he said and rose. "Welcome. I hope you've settled here in Dartmouth."

"Barely", she admitted. He nodded.

"Let me see, there's a spot next to Bella and Edward. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you sat next to them."

"Not at all, Mr Johnson", a voice said from one of the benches. Ashley looked at the girl. She was a beautiful brunette, he had bronze-coloured hair, and both of them had golden-brown eyes. Ashley carefully sat down next to Bella. Edward gave her a quick look of irritation, but then turned his gaze towards the board once again.

"We live next to you", Bella explained and smiled. "We saw you move in yesterday."

"Oh, right", Ashley said and smiled back. "Nice meeting you both."

"Same to you", Edward said, his voice harsh. Ashley wrinkled her forehead for a moment, before turning away from him and concentrating on the board. Mr Johnson was describing yet another biological thing she didn't understand. It just didn't work out for her. She tried to read in her new course-book, but it didn't work either.

"Do you not like Biology?" Bella asked when they walked out of the classroom.

"Not really", Ashley grimaced. Bella smiled.

"You can come over this afternoon if you want, we can study together", she said. Ashley nodded.

"That'd be great."

"Bella!"

Ashley looked over her shoulder and noticed two other students, both with the same golden-brown eyes as Bella and Edward, coming towards them. It was the girl who'd called Bella's name. She was shorter than Ashley, who was 1,60 meters, with black hair in all directions. The boy was honey-blond and quite muscular, but with a face that didn't express any emotions.

"Oh, you must be Ashley, our new neighbour", the girl said and embraced Ashley. "I'm Alice and this is Jasper."

"Nice meeting you both", Ashley said once Alice released her.

"Has Bella invited you to our house?" Alice asked. "Otherwise, I would."

Ashley noticed Edward giving Alice a surprised look, but he instantly wiped it away.

"No, she has already invited me", Ashley said with a smile. "She's going to help me with Biology."

"That's Bella's best subject", Alice said with a smile. "Anyway, I'll see you later. Have to go now."

As both she and Jasper walked away, Alice almost danced through the corridor. Bella and Edward left as well, leaving Ashley alone by the lockers.

At three that afternoon Ashley knocked on the door to the big house. Bella opened it to her.

"Ashley", she said and embraced her. "Great to see you again. How was the rest of your day?"

"Alright", Ashley answered. She noticed the tall man standing on the second floor, but refused to look at him. When she finally did, he wasn't there.

"What?" Bella said, popping her head out through the living room's door.

"The man on the second floor", Ashley answered. "Who is he?"

Bella's face turned solemn and she looked away for a moment.

"It was probably Carlisle Cullen, our adoptive father", she answered. "He's in a deep depression right now and..."

"Maybe you should talk to him."

It was Alice, who came dancing out through another door. Bella looked surprised.

"I'm sure he would welcome you", she continued.

"I don't think that's such a great idea", Ashley protested. "I mean, I do not know..."

"Oh, don't worry", Alice said. "Maybe that's what he needs, a person who doesn't know him."

Ashley opened her mouth once again to protest, before looking at Bella. Edward now stood behind the brunette and looked at her, not showing any feelings. He scared her.

"Alright, then", Ashley said and started to slowly walk up the stairs.

"It's the last door in the corridor", Alice said. Ashley nodded, continuing upstairs, walking up into the corridor. It was deep red and so long she thought she wouldn't be able to reach the end of it before night.

But she did, of course, and she took a deep breath before knocking on the door. There was no answer at first and she thought she'd gone in the wrong direction, before she heard a voice from the inside.

"Come."

She carefully pushed the door open and stepped into the room. The man was standing like she'd seen him yesterday, at the window facing the forest and her own house.

"Mr Cullen?" she said slowly, still standing with her back towards the door.

"Yes?" he said and slowly turned. Just like his four adoptive children, his eyes were golden-brown, but his were a lot darker than the other ones.

"Alice told me to come up and see you, sir", Ashley explained. "I'm Ashley Tyler, your new neighbour."

"Yes, I saw you yesterday", he said and sat down in his chair. Ashley thought she'd never heard anyone talk with such a voice, completely without feelings.

"I... I should probably go downstairs again", she said and turned around.

"No."

The sudden fear in his voice made her stop.

"Please, stay."

She turned back towards him. His eyes still reflected the deep grief she'd noticed yesterday, but now there was something else as well – fear. He didn't want to be alone.

"If you want me to", she said and slowly walked closer, sitting down in a chair in front of his desk. He nodded.

"I need someone here."

She slowly reached out and took his hand. It surprised her how cold it was, but she ignored the thought.

"I am here, sir."

"Please, Ashley, call me Carlisle. You make me feel old."

She nodded and squeezed his hand.