Chapter 5

"What the hell is wrong with you, Edward?" Bella exclaimed. "Carlisle has started to move on, we do not have to hide from Ashley anymore, Emmett and Rosalie are coming to visit and you are still sourer than ten thousand lemons!"

"For some reason, the pattern seems familiar", Edward answered, looking at his wife. "Some details have changed, but otherwise it is the same course of events as when I met you."

"What, do you think that James will take Ashley to a ballet-studio as well?" Alice asked and jumped down from the tree. "Edward, if something bad will happen, I will see it."

"You do not see everything", Edward muttered.

"I see something now", Alice said and grinned. "Ashley!"

Ashley waved at them from the road and both Alice and Bella rushed towards her, embracing her at the same time.

"Finally!" Alice exclaimed.

"Girls, you're crushing my ribs", Ashley managed to say. Both Bella and Alice released her at once.

"Sorry, we're just so happy to see you again", Bella explained.

"I'm glad to be here again", Ashley said and smiled. "How's Carlisle?"

"He's getting better", Alice answered. "Edward can hear his thoughts again."

"You can hear someone's thoughts?" Ashley asked and looked at Edward.

"Yes", Edward answered dryly.

"Vampires can sometimes have a gift", Alice explained. "Jasper can sense and affect someone's emotions and Bella can protect both herself and others from the abilities of another vampire."

"Ashley, how are you feeling?"

Carlisle had shown up without them noticing it. A thin smile was on his lips and his eyes reflected happiness, sadness and relief.

"Keeps getting better", Ashley answered and smiled at him. He gently placed an arm around her shoulders. Edward's eyes immediately turned darker, reflecting pure hate. Ashley looked away.

"Come", Carlisle said. "I know you still have a lot of questions."

"Carlisle!"

They both turned towards Edward. His eyes were still dark, but whatever he'd intended to tell Carlisle – if he'd intended to – never crossed his icy lips. Carlisle stood still, looking at his adopted son, while his grip on Ashley's right shoulder hardened. Then he turned them both around, with long strides leading Ashley towards the forest.

"Why does he hate me?" Ashley asked when they ere once again in the clearing. Carlisle looked surprised.

"Who?"

"Edward", Ashley said and looked at the vampire. "He hates me."

Carlisle stared at her, before he chuckled softly.

"Ashley, dear Ashley", he said and sat down next to her. "Is that what you think? That my son hates you and wants to kill you?"

Ashley nodded, slightly blushing, and looked away, focusing her gaze on a straw she held in her hands.

"Edward has been through a lot lately", Carlisle explained. "You see, before we came here, we lived in Forks, a small town where the sun almost never shone. That was where Edward and Bella met."

He leaned back against the tree.

"Another vampire-coven showed up as well, not long after Bella's arrival, and one of them, James, started to hunt her."

"What has that got to do with this?" Ashley asked and looked up. Carlisle met her gaze.

"Edward is afraid that the same thing is about to happen here", he answered silently. Ashley opened her mouth to answer, but Carlisle interrupted her.

"He can read my mind, Ashley. He knows exactly what I think all the time when I'm around; what I like, what I do not like, what I think about Esme, and you..."

He rose once again and walked away into the woods. Ashley rose as well, ran after him and grabbed his arm.

"What, Carlisle?" she said, looking at him. "What do you think of me? Why do Edward think that time is repeating itself? Why..."

Carlisle put his cold finger on her lips.

"Do you really want to know everything", he said, his voice soft. She nodded slowly.

The next moment he lifted her up on his back and started to run. He was faster than anything else, stronger, more agile. Even though she'd known of his abilities before, it was a completely different thing to be a part of them.

He took her far away from the houses, up among the hills, through the dense forests. And then he slowed down to a stop, putting her down on the ground. Her legs were trembling slightly.

"Ashley, I have never survived on human blood", he said, walking in front of her. "I work in a hospital, I'm a highly ranked doctor and in those environments, I am never tempted by the blood."

He turned towards her and she noticed that he had unbuttoned his shirt. It wasn't exactly hard to imagine that people might pretend to faint to get to hospital, just to get a glimpse of him. But Ashley doubted that many of those had seen the pale skin hidden beneath his clothes, the body that could belong to the world's most famous poster-boy.

"The only person that I am tempted by is you", he continued. "That was why I didn't want you to pull off Bella's jumper in my office; as I hadn't been hunting for very long, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to hold back."

She shifted her gaze from his muscular chest to his eyes.

"I am bound to you, Ashley", he said, his voice trembling slightly. "I would do anything to be around you, to make sure you're safe, to know that you are happy."

She took a step towards him. His eyes followed her every move, those beautiful eyes that had made her fall for him the last time they'd been alone in the forest. They still scared her, as she wasn't sure if they would once again make her do something stupid.

Then the sun broke through the clouds and its rays touched his naked chest. And what happened to him was not what she'd expected.

Carlisle had told her many things that led her to the truth about vampires. But he'd never talked to her about what happened when a vampire's skin was touched by the rays of the sun. She'd believed, for that mere reason, that the fact that vampires die when out in sunlight was a myth that was true. But obviously it wasn't, as Carlisle still stood there, in front of her. His skin shimmered as if it was made out of small diamonds.

"This is who I am, Ashley", he said, looking away. It looked like he was ashamed of himself.

"Carlisle", she said softly and took the last few steps up to him. He didn't make a move, didn't answer her. For a moment she was afraid that he'd actually been killed by the sun's rays. Carefully she placed a hand on his cold chest. Carlisle inhaled deeply.

"Ashley", he whispered and looked at her once again.

"I love you", she said without further ado. "No matter what you are, I do love you."

He slowly bent his head towards her and she closed her eyes.

"Even if I'm an old, heartbroken and lonely vampire?" he whispered.

"Yes."

And he kissed her.