Chapter 2: The Girl in the Woods

Laura had started her search from when they had separated last night and continued to traverse the woods in search of Will but after a long search, her efforts were proving to be ultimately useless. With this in mind, Laura decided to try a different approach.

She started looking at the places Will would most likely be in and since she knew he wasn't at home, there was only one other place he could be.

She walked out of the deep forestry to see the small fort that he had made with her and his mother, Castle Byers. It was a safe space for them, one where they could get away from everything and just hang out without any judgement from others. This was where Will was the most himself, a home away from home when things got rough.

She approached the fort and moved the entrance cloth aside but her hopes were dashed to see that there was no one there. No Will, not even a slight trace of him.

She entered the fort and looked around at all the items within it, some were toys and some were old cassette tapes they had collected. There was a red bean bag chair in the fort, big enough for both of them to sit and relax or even read comics, and what would you know, there sat an X-Men comic book on Will's side.

She picked up the comic book and smiled sadly at the cover, it was an issue of the Wolverine, he had always been Will's favorite.

"Will?" She heard a male voice shout out as the footsteps of two people were making their way over to the fort "Will?"

"Will?" A female voice called out.

She could recognize these voices and the people they belonged to, it wasn't very surprising that they would come and look for him here, they were his family after all.

The entrance cloth was moved aside and a woman poked her head in with frantic eyes "Will?"

The woman in question was Will's mother, Joyce Byers. A woman with Caucasian skin, brown eyes and shoulder-length brown hair with bangs. She wore a simple white shirt, a dark blue jacket and blue jeans with black shoes.

"Laura?" Joyce asked in surprise as Laura looked at her "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at school?"

As usual, Laura didn't respond and looked back down at the comic book but Joyce was also used to this, she knew the girl's actions spoke louder than words.

Joyce had always been the mother Laura never had and Joyce would treat her like the daughter she never had. She would always care for Laura as if she were her own and it had reached the point that Laura would trust her with her most personal secrets. Joyce, Will and her father were the only ones that knew about her being intersex and although it took some time to getting used to, they accepted her all the same.

"You're looking for Will too?" Joyce asked and Laura nodded "Alright, c'mon sweetie. We'll find him together."

Laura put down the comic book and stood up, following Joyce out of the fort. The young man that had come with Joyce turned around and was confused to see Laura coming out of the fort.