City life

The city is as busy as ever, people everywhere. I don't really like it, but there are many easy targets for some money. To be honest, I only steal from the people who have enough. There is a lot of poverty in this city. Including me.

As I walk around the corner, I take a look at the 'wanted wall'. Maybe I can earn some extra cash, I love a good bounty hunt. Looking at the poster, I see a familiar face. Wait a second, that is ME! In a hurry I rip the poster off the wall, crumble it in my hand and put it in my pocket. A couple of people look at me weirdly, I give them an odd smile and walk away from the 'wanted wall', while covering my face (even under my robe).

I have done many things in this city I am not proud of, but a wanted poster is too far. With a bounty for only twenty gold pieces! Really? Come on! But I think this poster will look good in my basement. As decoration, you know.

There is a secret hideout in this city for underground activities, with multiple entrances and tunnels. The hideout is the size of an inn with a bar, a fighting arena and even bedrooms. If you want something done, you can find the best (or worst) people for the job in this 'pub'. The place is full of criminals and thugs.

I walk towards an entrance that is underneath a bridge, I hop down a ledge, while no one is looking I open a secret trapdoor that looks like cobblestone. I climb down the ladder and close the trapdoor. I will never get used to this sewage smell, I'll smell like shit for a day (if not longer).

As I walk into the 'bar' I can see Der sitting at a table. He waves at me to come over, I roll my eyes and walk toward him. A couple of tables are occupied with all sorts of races from all ages. All plotting something bad, I presume, well I know it for sure.

The second I sit down, Der asks if I want something to drink, I look at him and shake my head.

"No thanks. Not really in the mood for a drink, could use a bite tho." I say.

"The usual?" Dre asks.

"Yup" I say.

Dre walks to the bar and begins to talk to the lady behind the counter. He obviously has an eye for her, but she is way out of his league. Not that I have a chance, but women are not really my thing anyway, if you catch my drift.

A couple enters the hideout and walks to the bedrooms, a dirty looking man with a way to nice looking girl. He whispers something in her ear and she starts to giggle. For a second the man and I make eye contact.

"What do you want! Are you jealous?" He yells at me

"Oh nothing and no, have fun" I say annoyed.

"Oh I will" he says with a dirty laugh.

The man throws a couple of copper and silver pieces behind the counter, and they walk off.

More people enter the hideout, in the meantime Dre comes back with the food and drinks.

"Here you go sir, the mystery stew." He says with a smile.

"Thanks. I hope this time, there is no eyeball in it." I say

We both laugh.

"So?" I say with a mouth full of stew "What is this gig you wanted to talk about?"

"Oh, I do not know all the details, well actually, I don't know anything." Dre looks away.

"What?! Are you serious? You took on a job blindly?!" I say angry.

"Dochor, look at me, how many years do we know each other?"

"Too many" I say with a sigh.

"Well, have I ever let you down in those years?" He says with a smile