01. 𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐀𝐍'𝐒 𝐃𝐄𝐌𝐈𝐒𝐄

A MATTE BLACK 488 FERRARI pulled up to Thrombey Estate

A MATTE BLACK 488 FERRARI pulled up to Thrombey Estate. Despite it's sophisticated, mysterious exterior, Bob Marley's 'One Love' was playing through the radio.

"Look who's here." Linda, Harlan Thrombey's oldest daughter, pointed through the window and at the sleek vehicle. Linda was an put-together woman, possibly in her late 50s or early 60s, who owned her own company and, in her own words 'indepently and not with my husband, Richard.'. Her husband, who was stood beside her with a pestered look painted across his face squinted at the Ferrari.

"Bonjour!" A feminine, French accent rang out from the direction of the car. From behind the door, emerged a young, darkskin woman named Antonina, or just Nina as she preferred, Dubois. She lived in the neighbouring house that was only about a mile away but she was basically part of the family.

"We might as well go out and say hello." The older woman told Richard who nodded hesitantly.

The couple walked out and greeted Nina who pulled them both into a long embrace- much to their annoyance. "I have missed you guys." Nina whispered. You see, the girl had spent another month in her home country, France, but to her it felt like an eternity since she had seen her 'family'.

"Nina, you are back, already?" Walt Thrombey, Harlan Thrombey's other child, says from behind the three.

She squeals as she untangles herself from the hug and catches sight of him. "I would hug you, but I do not want to harm your leg."

"It's fine." He smiles. Unlike the couple, Walt actually had a soft spot for the girl.

"Uh, where is Harlan? I've come for our monthly chat since I missed it last time." Nina babbled, looking up at the window of Thrombey's office but seeing no one.

After her words, there was a pained silence.

"What is it?" Nina asked, nervously.

"My father is dead." Linda said almost with no emotion.

"Oh..." Nina frowned. She was hurt by this statement but wasn't trying to show how much. "My condolences."

"He was your family as well- We all are." Walt placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder, making her smile

"But when was the funeral?"

"Yesterday."

"Merde! I can not believe I missed it."

"How about we all just go inside instead of standing out in the cold, eh?" Richard suggests and they all stroll toward the door.

The inside of the manor always excited Dubois; its gothic theme decorated with antiques like arcane puzzles to weapons just seemed like artwork.

"Welcome home!" Fran, one of the housekeepers, beamed while she carried the coffee tray she always seemed to have in hand. Nina nodded in greeting at the brunette before walking into the living room.

The girl sat on one of the couches and drew her phone out of her mom jeans' left pocket. She then typed her password (121418) and once the satisfying click that indicated the phone unlocking sounded, it revealed her background that was of her- wearing her favourite blue dress as a young adolescent- and Harlan- in one of his signature suits- next to one another with big smiles on their faces. Nina smiled, reminiscing the day of her 15th birthday.

Once out of her trance, she opened the news app on her phone, as she did every morning, and went on 'Trending Stories'. 'Harlan Thrombey Dead' and things like that was the only thing she saw so she rolled her eyes and turned off her device.

She wondered what was to come of the family.

.