02. 𝐀𝐍 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐑𝐎𝐆𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍

Nina Dubois sat in front of the three men with a cup of earl grey in her grip

Nina Dubois sat in front of the three men with a cup of earl grey in her grip. The drink was not her favourite- in fact she thought it repulsive- but she decided to keep quiet and drink it anyway so she did not seem bratty and wasteful by throwing away.

"What is your name and relation to the family." One of the men asked. He was handsome: brown skin, fresh cut and fairly good facial hair. She could tell he was very professional from his neat working suit and his alert posture.

"Antonina Marie Dubois. I am the Thrombey's close friend and neighbor." She answered quickly. She felt as though she was under a knife with his sharp words.

"You're not from here, are you?" He questioned.

"No, I was born and raise in Paris, France and moved to here in Boston with my late older sister and late stepmother when I was only 14. I go back every now and then."

The man's face shifted into a pitied expression. "I'm sorry for your loss. I don't mean to pry but what about your father?"

"The only father figure I have ever had was Harlan so..."

Sitting at the back of the room was another guy. His face was almost hidden by the shadows but it was easy to make out his features. He pressed one of the keys on the piano, confusing everyone in the room.

"May I ask for your names?" Nina asked them. They nodded.

"Detective Lieutenant Elliott." The man who did the majority of the talking replied. "And the man beside me here is Trooper Wagner and-"

"I already know who he is." Nina interrupted. "That's Detective Benoit Blanc. I've read his New York profile. It's cool."

"Really? I cannot lie and say I am not surprised that some as young as you is intrigued in my criteria." Blanc raised his eyebrows in shock as he speaks in gentle southern lilt.

"I guess I just think it is interesting." The girl shrugged.

"Ok, enough chit chat. We want to ask you some questions." Elliott cuts in, before they can begin a conversation.

She nods, gesturing for him to continue.

"We have understanding that there was a gathering to celebrate Mr Thrombey's eighty fifth birthday."

"I couldn't make it."

"Reason why?"

"I was back home; visiting one of my friends."

"Is this friend a familiar figure to the family?"

"No."

Detective Blanc plays another key, catching the attention of the other three.

"Right. Next question: what was Linda's relationship like with her father."

"If I'm honest with you- No one really knew. Harlan was like that with everyone."

"Meaning?" Trooper Wagner sliced into the talk.

"He had his own way with communicating with everyone."

The men nodded in understanding.

"But what about Hugh?"

"Hugh?" The name did not ring any bells until... "Oh! You mean Ransom?"

"Yeah sure. Ransom."

Nina paused for a second. During her time in Paris she had tried to forget all about him and all her efforts seemed to go down the drain as his name was mentioned. Elliott, Wagner and Blanc all noticed her lause.

Blanc, being the curious individual he was, speaks up. "What is Ransom's relationship to you?"

"Whaf has that got to do with anything?" She snaps.

"Just answer the question." Elliott says.

"Fine. Uhm- Ransom and I.. We use to be together."

"Use to be? What happened?"

"I don't really want to talk about it." Nina's words faded as she spoke. It was obvious that this subject was painful.

Blanc looked genuinely sorry for asking. "Well, ok then. We are not trying to force anything upon you."

.