Chapter 4

Years passed. Zuko had mastered his fire-bending sense. He could now walk around without any fear of falling. Obviously, it wasn't perfect. He would still never be able to read or see color, but he was used to it. Now, his only concern was finding the Avatar, and taking him back to the Fire Nation.

"I want to learn the advanced set!" he yelled.

Suddenly, Zuko could feel a huge flash of light. "Uncle, what was that?"

He looked up at the sky, "It's... some kind of tower of light..."

Zuko smirked, "Finally..."

~line break~

The fight with the water tribe was fierce. Zuko was out of his element. He had learned that the cold hindered his vision, given that his senses depended on heat. But he didn't let that disadvantage stop him. He had to regain his honor!

He growled as the Avatar managed to slip through his grasp. After three years, he was this close! But he failed. Iroh put a hand on his shoulder. "It's ok Prince Zuko, there will be more opportunities..."

~line break~

It felt like Zuko's whole world had turned on its head. He went from chasing the Avatar around the world, to being stranded in the Earth Kingdom. His whole crew had died in Zhao's suicide mission. But he did not have the time to mourn their deaths. He still had a job to do. Or... that's what he had thought. But now... now he wasn't so sure...

Why should he fight for a man who had caused him so much pain? Had permanently marred his flesh and disabled him? Why should he help him?! All he had ever done was banish him! No! He was going to turn his life around! He would fight for Ozai no longer!

~line break~

"You know... I could probably heal your scar... this is sacred water... it has special mystic properties..."

Zuko could feel her walking towards him. All of this was so confusing. He just wanted to be left alone. Why couldn't anyone understand that?! "I..."

"Hey Zu Zu..."

~line break~

Zuko felt horrible for what he had done. But a small part of him wanted to believe what Azula was saying was true. He wanted his father to love him again. He wanted to go home! But now that he was here... it didn't feel right... but then... it all came to a head...

"The day of black sun is tomorrow, so we all must be ready. Here Zuko, read this report for the council." Ozai handed him a scroll.

Zuko turned to him with confusion, "I can't."

Zuko had never told anyone about his impairment. He had truly always assumed that people could tell, based on his appearance and how he carried himself. He especially thought that his own father would be able to tell. Obviously, the crew knew that he couldn't see, but they too never dared tell anyone. He never intended for it to be a secret, but without his knowledge, that's what it had become.

Ozai glared down at him and the torches in the room flared, "What do you mean you can't?! You dare defy me?! After the mercy I've shown you?!" he glared at the others in the room, "Leave us!"

"I... I mean no disrespect..." Zuko backed against a wall. "But... I... I can't read..."

"WHAT?!" Ozai towered over him.

"I... I thought you knew..." Zuko said in shock.

"KNEW WHAT?!" he yelled.

"I'm blind..." tears were forming in the corners of his eyes. It was then that he knew he had made a grave mistake in returning here. He should never have betrayed uncle...

"You're what?" the anger in his voice was lessened, but it was still there.

"I've been blind... ever sense..." he gently touched a hand to his scar.

Ozai huffed, "Great! My heir's a cripple!"

"I'm not a cripple!" Zuko yelled, "I'm just as capable as anyone else!"

He rolled his eyes, "You can't even read! I knew I should have killed you when I had the chance!"

"What?" Zuko said in surprise.

"Forget it." Ozai got up and stormed out of the room, "Azula will make a better Fire Lord than you anyway."

Zuko balled his fists in anger, he had had enough... the next day, he showed his father how capable he really was, and left the Fire Nation. He had a new destiny now...

~line break~

"Hey..." he waved nervously, "Zuko here..."

(A/N - Hey guys, thanks for reading! Flamio Hotman!)