16 | skinny arms

timothéejune 24

timothée
june 24

it's monday morning and i'm, abruptly, woken up by the sound of a lawnmower right outside my window. i groan in annoyance as i lean over to peek past the curtains, seeing my grandma going away at the overgrown grass. it's too early for this.

that lady refuses to get old. she's been on the move for as long as i can remember. if i were an old person, i'd say screw being mobile. i'd sit in a wheelchair and order people to do things for me.

almost like she knows i'm awake now, grandma pounds on the glass. "come outside and help!" she exclaims, before continuing her mowing.

i cover my face with a pillow. i really don't want to but i know better than to go against her. she can be pretty strict when she wants to be. so, despite my complaints, i get out of bed and head straight into the bathroom.

when i walk outside, i pat my stomach a couple times. grandma had left some pancakes on the stove for me and man, were they good. i scratch the side of my neck as i approach her, "so what do you have for me?"

she glances away from the plants in front of her for a second. "i need to plant some more vegetables. so, i built some planters over there by the gate. you and rosie are going to put some dirt inside of it and...."

her words faded as my mind thought about rosie. all i can picture is her body in that bikini from yesterday and the way she had clung to my side in the pool. i'm praying that when she comes, she won't try to avoid talking to me again. because i really want to talk to her.

"...so is that a good idea?"

i blink hard a couple times as grandma stares at me, waiting for a response to a question i had not been paying attention to. good idea? i'd been too busy daydreaming about rosie.

"w-what?"

"i said is that a good idea?" she really isn't gonna repeat herself.

time to bullshit. "yeah," i nod like i have any clue what she's talking about. "that sounds perfect."

"goodie, yellow it is! now get to work." then she walks away. i'm left standing there like a dummy because i have no idea what she had ordered me to do.

suddenly, the door swings open. rosie walks in my direction with a small smile on her face. she's wearing a white tank top and a pair of raggedy jeans that looks like it's seen better days. it's got grass and dirt stains and a couple of paint marks here and there. "hey," she waves to me. "how are you?"

i smile and wave back, then awkwardly put my hands in the front pockets of my shorts. "i'm pretty good. despite being woken up at the crack of dawn by the sound of my grandma mowing."

"i don't think she likes to sleep."

i had forgot that rosie helps my grandma every morning with her garden work. she must've gotten a little break because now that i think about it, i haven't seen her around since the day i first arrived.