ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇʟᴠᴇ || ғᴀᴍɪʟɪᴀʀ sᴛʀᴀɴɢᴇʀ

Tazi

Our red-cloaked allies launched into the fight without so much as hesitating. They all moved with almost inhuman speed, just quick enough to rival the enemies.

Part of me wanted to step back, study the way they moved. Because they were all different, they all fought without fear. At first the one with the bird mask almost seemed to have more arms than natural, but I ruled it out to be just blurs from speed.

The one with the lizard mask snarled, sounding more canine than human. I had no explanation for that one.

And the cat masked one moved with uncanny flexibility, nearly folding its body in half to avoid blows that would've likely killed any lesser being.

They couldn't be human, I decided. There was no way.

Tearing my eyes from their mesmerizing techniques, I threw myself into the fight. I hacked at limbs and faces, succeeding in slicing the eyes of two creatures. They both let out ear splitting screams before turning and hightailing it into the forest.

"On your left." It was the first I'd heard them speak, and the familiarity of their voice caught me way off guard.

I looked over, finding the one with the bird mask. They met my gaze, and I froze at the sight of their milky blue eyes.

One of the creatures saw my moment of vulnerability and landed a kick to my chest.

It knocked the breath out of me, and sent me staggering backward, where I crashed into Skye.

"Careful!" They grunted, pushing my shoulder away.

The momentum from the shove steadied me. I sucked in a deep breath, anger bubbling up with the exhale. I let it boil, using the energy to attack whatever creature was closest. The feeling carried me until it ran off, shrieking.

Then that bird masked idiot ended up beside me again.

I spun on them. "Who are you?!" I spat, fending off an enemy to avoid strangling them.

The words didn't seem to surprise them. But I saw a flash of something like pain in their milky gaze. "My name is Promise." They answered.

I knew that voice. But I couldn't remember how. "What kind of name is Promise? And what's with your eyes? Are you blind?" The questions were rude and I knew it, but I'd given up being nice when I'd been abandoned a year ago.

"Partially." They answered. "I can see what I need to."

Well that wasn't a cryptic answer at all, I thought, so sarcastically that I'm pretty sure they could sense it.

"Promise is not a normal name, but I chose it so I will always remember the ones I broke. And so I never break any more." Promise shrugged. "Loyal and Loving," they pointed to the other two masked fighters, "chose their names for the same reasons."

"Because of their regrets." I repeated dubiously. Under the tone, I was sort of surprised. And impressed. It took courage to understand what you'd done, and even more to try and fix it. But I'd never tell Promise that. "Are they your siblings?"

Promise shook their head. "No, they aren't my siblings." They paused. "Well, not by blood. They are my siblings in other things. I'm sure they both see me as their sister. We have no relation, tethered together only by mistakes." She sounded wistful, almost.

I scowled at the poetic way she said it.

Many of the creatures had fled by now, leaving only a few. I sliced angrily at one's legs as it scrambled past me.

Promise made no comment. She looked over at her people. "You can't stay here. When they leave, it won't be for long. They will return with reinforcements. And even with our help, it'll be impossible to defeat them."

"I know." I lifted my chin. "We're headed back to Greenhaven as soon as we can get out of this dump."

Promise bristled, just barely.

I felt triumph flare at the reaction, but didn't let it creep onto my lips. "So you've encountered these beasts before. And the worms too?"

"I haven't, personally." Promise corrected, "but others have. They call them The Many. Humans who have lost their minds."

"How does it happen?"

She shrugged. "King suspects it has to do with the parasites. The worms," she said by way of explanation.

"King?"

"Our leader."

I nodded, turning as the last of The Many scurried away into the woods.

The others were streaked in blood and sweat, but victorious. Loyal and Loving— I didn't know which was which— were supporting each other as they limped over.

"Thank you for your help."

I stepped back as Tyler spoke to Promise, returning to the others.

"So?" Sasha asked expectantly. "Who are they?"

I resisted the urge to spit freaks, the first reply that rose to my tongue. Instead I leaned closer. "The one in the bird mask says her name is Promise, and the other two are Loyal and Loving. They've encountered both the creatures and the worms. The creature's they call The Many, and they think the worms— parasites, she called them, infect humans and turn them into those mindless beasts."

"Yikes." Navia, who'd been wrapping a nasty cut on Sasha and listening in, commented. "Good thing none of us got infected, then."

Sasha nodded. "But they didn't know how to kill them?" He turned back to me.

I shook my head. "She didn't mention anything about it."

Sasha frowned. "Anything else?"

I waited until Navia moved out of earshot, then pulled him close enough that I could whisper. "There's one more thing. Promise— I feel like I've met her before. There's this feeling... I think I know her."

"Please don't tell me you think she's Lizzie." Sasha groaned.

I pulled back slightly, offended. "I hadn't even thought of that," I growled honestly, because Lizzie hadn't crossed my mind the entire day.

"Oh, sorry." Sasha didn't look very apologetic at all. "Who do you think it is?"

"I don't know." I crossed my arms. "But I'm going to find out."

11/08/21
please ignore the horrible redcloak names :')
i'm doing my best okay
anyway make sure you're staying safe my lovelies!! xx