8

i put the remainder of my clothes on and left my nightwear on the bathroom floor. it's not like i'd really need them. i placed my hand on the door handle, trying to be as quiet as possible. i couldn't alert the caretakers. they couldn't find out what i was trying to do.

i opened the door and nearly screamed when i saw someone standing outside. but to my surprise, it was kokichi, standing there with an expression that seemed half gleeful and half concerned.

"kokichi? what are you..." i didn't even have the energy to continue talking. i left the bathroom and closed it in silence.

"sooo...you have some sort of trauma that leaves you with constant nightmares?" he asked. i nodded, wanting him to just get out of my way.

"that trauma being the death of your parents?" i nodded once more.

"the others were...harsh to you back there. are they always like that?" he queried. i sighed and began to slowly walk away, him strolling along with me.

"they usually tell me off a little but it's never been that bad before. that's the first time i've been threatened or anything." he seemed to be taking all of this information in and he seemed to genuinely care. that's a nice change.

"that mondo kid has a real temper. but apparently so do you, hidden under all that innocence and laid back attitude. although i'd probably get pissed too if someone told me to join my dead parents." innocence? you're kidding me right? i lost all of my innocence years and years ago.

"so how come you're all dressed up?" i looked down at him for a second before turning back to walk down the stairs.

"i'm leaving."

"wha- leaving?" i knew after punching mondo that i couldn't stay here anymore. this place was already horrible when maki was here, and after she left, things just got worse and worse. if i stayed i'd get in a bunch of trouble, not just for waking everyone up again, but for injuring someone. i didn't want to deal with that.

"i was originally going to be leaving next year when i turn eighteen, but there's no way i can stand another year here. i have to get out." when i saw the exit doors i ran over to them, forgetting that i had to be quiet as to not wake up a caretaker. kokichi swiftly caught up with me, watching me as i grabbed the door handles.

"you know they lock the doors at night, right?" i was already aware of that but i'd hoped that maybe tonight they'd forgotten to lock them or something. but after giving them a shove, i realised that kokichi was unfortunately correct.

"shit..." i muttered. if i can't get out through the doors i'll find another way. i can't stay here any longer.

"damn, that's a real bummer...although i may be able to help you out." kokichi commented with a smirk on his face.

"i am quite skilled when it comes to lock picking. but with a lock like this i'm not sure if i'll be able to get it open."

"well it's worth a shot anyway." i told him, getting excited about escaping already. he nodded and suddenly turned around.

"my tool is with my things upstairs, i'll go get it, just wait right there." i prayed that kokichi would be quick as i watched him make his way back up the incredibly creaky staircase.

i don't know where i'm going to go exactly. but anywhere is better than here. i know in this place i get a bed, shelter and food, but that doesn't matter when it comes to the way i get treated here. they all look at me like i'm some monster. i don't want to stay in a place like that.

"what on earth are you doing komaeda?" shit.

"mondo told me everything. you woke up the kids with your screams yet again, and you had the audacity to put your hands on another orphan. i gave you a chance last time but there's no way i can let you off now. you know exactly where you're going." byakuya practically spat his words at me with an expression of rage.

"come on. you're going in the basement." i shook my head and denied him instantly, remaining frozen in my place.

"you're disobeying me? do you know who you're speaking to?!"

"i couldn't care less who i'm speaking to! you're all the same here anyway!" that was the first time i'd argued back with any of the caretakers. it felt amazing but terrifying all at once.

"right, that's it." byakuya grabbed my arm and began to forcefully drag me away from the door. he was taller and older than me, meaning he had an advantage. i was too weak to get away from him. he continued to drag me further and further away and my hopes of escape were crushed instantly. as i was pulled away from the stairs i saw kokichi standing at the top of them with a sorrowful look in his eyes. he mouthed the word 'sorry' to me and watched as i was pulled further and further away.

within minutes i was outside the basement door, makoto and kyoko standing outside it.

"is this really necessary byakuya?" kyoko inquired.

"he's done enough to deserve this. open the door." he demanded, aiming his command at makoto.

"but it just seems cruel-" makoto argued.

"open the damn door naegi." he let out a sigh before finally doing as byakuya asked. makoto and kyoko were two of the only nice caretakers in this place. i couldn't believe they were participating in this, even if they were showing a bit of reluctance. i still felt betrayed.

"you're to stay in there until someone decides you can come back out. i don't want to hear a peep out of you." and with that i was pushed by byakuya into the room and the door was locked behind me before i could even attempt to run back into the corridor.