13

i stood in silence, not knowing what to do or say. my eyes were watering, and my cheeks were glowing red from the fear and embarrassment of being yelled at in front of all the other kids.

"i'm going to ask you one more time komaeda: where were you?!" i'd forgotten to wake up early that morning to go back to the basement before the caretakers woke up. that was the biggest mistake i'd made in a long time.

knock knock. knock knock. knock knock.

the loud thudding continued as i slowly opened my eyes, the bright sunlight blinding me, despite being covered by the shitty curtains. it took me a few moments to realise that i wasn't in my dorm room, or the basement: i was still in hajime's room. i should probably check the time.

i tried to turn over to take a look at the clock on the bedside table, but it wasn't as easy as i initially thought. that was because i had a pair of arms tightly wrapped around me. hajime's arms. did we fall asleep like that? i don't really remember...

this was incredibly cosy. not a single part of me wanted to move but i knew i had to. besides, someone was knocking on the door, and it was more than likely a caretaker calling for hajime. shit, a caretaker. this is nice but i really need to wake him up.

"hajime!" i tried to call out his name as quietly as i possibly could as i sat up and grabbed his arms, trying to shake him awake. it took a few tries but i eventually succeeded. when he awoke he gave me a warm smile. this was something i'd love to get used to.

"someone's at the door." i whispered, to which his eyes widened and immediately he was out of bed. he grabbed his clothes from the corner of the room, removing his nightwear and throwing his daywear on without even considering the fact that i was in the room. try not to get flustered.

he went to the door and grabbed the door handle. before turning it he looked over at me and gestured towards the closet.

"hide!" he mouthed to me. i was never good at lip reading but i managed to get that. i nodded, rapidly and silently climbing into the closet and shutting the door behind me. total darkness surrounded me. i could only rely on my hearing now.

"morning kyoko." i heard him greet. i breathed a sigh of relief. it's just kyoko. i probably didn't even need to hide them.

"morning hajime. did you forget to set your alarm? you were supposed to be downstairs half an hour ago." wait...kyoko's awake? and hajime was supposed to be downstairs half an hour ago? which means...shit, they've probably realised i'm not where i'm supposed to be!

"oh yes, i did. sorry about that." he chuckled awkwardly as he spoke but it sounded like kyoko didn't return the gesture.

"be down there within the next five minutes please. oh, and by the way, do you know a boy called nagito?" my heart began to race as soon as my name was brought up. i knew this couldn't be good.

"yes, i believe so."

"if you see him, please report to one of us. when another caretaker went to check on him this morning he wasn't where he was supposed to be. we can't find him." shit...so they do know i'm not there...i'm gonna get in so much trouble.

"oh okay, i'll keep that in mind." after that last exchange i heard the door close. not a single other sound was made. i stayed exactly where i was, a little anxious to come out. after about thirty seconds the door opened suddenly. hajime stood outside.

"you can get out now." i nodded, trying to climb out without breaking something or hurting myself.

"i'm sorry...i completely forgot to set an alarm. now you're probably gonna be in a world of trouble."