21

"what are you doing here nagito?" maki whispered in a cold tone, her ruby red eyes glaring into mine. i let out a defeated chuckle.

"i don't even know anymore. but i'm really starting to think i may have made a mistake." i had been greatly reconsidering my choices since i'd winded up on this street. maybe staying at the orphanage would have been a better decision after all. it at least would have been safer. and i would have had access to food and water. and a shower. and a bed.

maki had finally come to see me. i never thought the day would arrive. she looked worn out. i couldn't blame her. doing what she did took a lot of strength, guts and energy. i knew i could never do it.

"i want to know everyting. explain it to me. please." she demanded as she began to pull something out of her bag. in all honesty at first i thought it was going to be some sort of weapon. i would have asked her to just put me out of my misery. but it turned out to not be a weapon, but a bread roll followed by a bottle of water. she began to hold them towards me and instantly i snatched them out of her hands.

"i have more when you're...done..." she trailed off at the end of her sentence as she realised i'd already consumed the roll and was chugging the water. already she was pulling more food and water out of her bag and placing them in my cold, shaky hand.

after messily explaining my even messier situation, she just stares at me in disbelief, before sighing and responding bluntly.

"you're an idiot. you must know that."

i laugh, defeated.

"yeah...i know."

maki sighs and squats down in front of me. there's no way she'd sit on the dirty floor with me and ruin her perfect red dress that seems like an incredibly strange and impractical choice of uniform for her profession.

"what i don't get is...why are you on the streets? correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't you say you had a ton of money in a seperate bank account from your parents?"

my eyes go wide, and it's like a lightbulb is switched on in my head. she's right. she's completely right. my savings! i've been living on the streets, freezing and starving like an absolute fucking idiot with thousands sitting in the bank completely untouched?!

"i...i do!" i let out a joyous laugh, and for the first time in a while, i feel a burst of energy. i stand up and wrap my arms around maki in pure relief. she remains completely still.

"i know you're happy and i'm happy for you too, but you haven't showered in weeks. get off me." maki's cold and callous attitude towards me doesn't take away from the ecstacy i feel right now. but as per her request, i let go and pull away from her.

"there's a lot of money in that account...i'm set! i'm so happy my parents are dead."

"what the fuck, nagito?"

"sorry."