3. STRANGENESS INCARNATE

"BUT WHAT THE deuce is this strangeness, Mr Jackson?" Mr Bennet's eyes traced discontinuous paths about the "thing" in his failed efforts to make sense of it.

"You be the man of letters. Your educated guess would make an idiot of mine," said the stable master, shrugging his shoulders and casting Mr Bennet a quizzical look. "The master says he has plans to move it into the house this weekend."

"Why didn't he move it in the house straight away?"

"I have the impression he does not want the servants to see it, and he mentioned something about necessary preparations in the basement rooms; one of which, he intends to put it."

"So only you and he, know about it?"

"Aye, Mr Bennet. As far as I know."

"So you were here when he arrived with it? Surely, all and sundry would have seen it arrive. I cannot imagine the carriage that brought this?"

"I never thought of the people who must have delivered it and unloaded it to these stables—if any even did."

"What do you mean by that, Mr Jackson?"

"Well, the first time I saw it, was on my arrival for the day's work on the morn of Wednesday. There in the stables standing beside it, was Mr Bingley. Gave me quite a shock, Mr Bennett. What, this richly dressed young man standing there, and the demmed 'thing' beside him. I thought I must surely still be dreaming."

"Interesting ..."

"Aye."

"So in your shock, Mr Jackson, am I right to conjecture that he spoke first?"

"Aye. He introduced himself and asked me to cover the 'thing' up until he could make preparations to move it into one of the basement rooms. You know the rest, which is very little."

The two men stood in silence for a minute, examining the "thing" before Mr Bennet spoke.

"Perhaps it is some sort of vehicle?" suggested Mr Bennet looking at the combination of glass-like materials and shiny gold and silver metals.

"But there be no seats," replied the stable master.

"Yes, but there is room behind that glass-like area for people to stand. Perhaps it is a vehicle where passengers stand. Some types of chariots have standing drivers, and my uncle has a one-horse carriage trap that he drives standing up—he has piles, you see."

"But, Mr Bennet, there seems no way that horses could pull this strange contraption, if that's what this 'thing' can be referred as."

"All I can refer to it as, is strangeness incarnate for now."

"Strangeness incarnate ..." repeated the stable master, musingly.

"Hmm ..." mumbled Mr Bennet, knotting his eyebrows and stroking his chin. He leaned forward and touched a section of the glass-like material.

The stable master gasped, as if indicating the danger in such an action. "Careful now, Mr Bennet, sir."

"Do you think this is glass? Only it seems clear and polished to a perfect finish. And do not the metals project such a smooth finish too." Mr Bennet ran his finger along the smooth metal surfaces and sleek edgings of the "thing". "Remarkable—not a single nail, peg, bolt, nut or pulley to be seen. Moreover, where is the wood? Granted, there is some sort of hardened rubber that might serve the same purpose. And see how some of it is transparent?"

"Very strange, I agree, Mr Bennet, sir." The stable master took to scratching his scalp.

"Mr Jackson, I'd like to see the place where this piece of mechanical masterpiece was fashioned. For I fear that this 'thing' is not simply a work of art. No, there is definitely some purpose to this erm ... contraption. Some distinct function." Mr Bennet shook his head. He sniffed a few times. "Hmm, it doesn't give off a smell of any sort that I can discern. I really have no idea of the purpose of this item of discombobulation." He looked in askance at the stable master.

"Don't look at me, Mr Bennet. I'm just a simple man. I've never even heard of the word 'discombobulation'."

"Ah yes, that's a new word from our friends abroad, the Americans. Not really used that much over here yet. I've taken quite a fancy to it myself. Now as for this mechanical industry of strangeness, what do you think it could possibly be?"

"Horses and carriages are the extent of my knowings of mechanical industry."

"I never thought of a horse as being mechanical industry. But if God be its maker, then why not?" Mr Bennet smiled at the stable master.

Just then, George neighed and kicked some dust up from the ground of the stables. This immediately gained Mr Bennet's attention.

"Quickly, man!" exclaimed Mr Bennet with the greatest of urgency. "Someone's coming! Let's cover it up."

Working quickly and quietly, the stable master and Mr Bennet raised the tarpaulin sheet. It was attached to some ropes, and so by simultaneously pulling down such ropes that were slung over an overhead beam, they quickly raised the tarpaulin sheet into a covering position.

"Quickly, man!" said Mr Bennet. "Start brushing down George. And take that guilty, concerned look off your face. This is just as much my secret as it is yours, now. Do you understand, Mr Jackson?"

"Aye. Our secret is just that, our secret. Depend on it."

The two men rushed towards George.

The sound of heavy footfall scratching along the outside gravel road approached the stables.

Mr Bennet gave his forehead a quick wipe.

The stable master calmed George and begun brushing him down.

Seconds later, the heavy scratching footfall came to a standstill ...

And there stood a man, just inside the stables' entrance. A handsome man with a youthful, friendly smile on his face. A man who gave the back corner of the stables a quick glance before eyeing Mr Bennet.

______________

I hope you enjoyed this Chapter. I welcome any votes, comments or constructive criticisms (style, spelling, grammar and punctuation errors).

T. J. P. CAMPBELL.