t w o

Anita lay with her eyes wide open. Hours had passed since she had completed her day. Her head was silent for the first time in hours. She wasn't in pain anymore, her mind was on a one track plan and she knew that she was going to execute it. The sounds of the other girls breathing let her know she was the only one still awake and so she pushed herself upright taking a look at the rest of them. This life was all she had ever known, these were the only people she could somewhat trust. She didn't know what was out there for her. She had no where to go back to. But this couldn't stop her. She forced herself onto her feet and started to make her way out of the room, not looking back, only marching on forwards. She cautiously poked her head out of the door looking around for any signs of someone who would take her back and tried to keep her breathing quiet. Once she knew she was clear, she followed the general direction to the launch pads, knowing that would be her only escape. She crawled through vents, hid in dark corners and knocked someone out before she felt the fresh air invade her lungs. The bright morning sun hurt her eyes as she realised she hadn't been out in a while and she certainly had never left this place still fully awake. She walked down the path towards the helicopters and considered trying to fly one away. Knowing it would cause too much disruption and pull attention towards her escape, she ignored that idea and instead reached inside one of the veichles for a parachute. She pulled it onto her back and clipped the front. She took deep breaths as she made her way towards the edge of the platform, seeing a sharp drop downwards onto who knows what kind of terrain. She closed her eyes and went to take a step forward when she was stopped before she could jump. Before she could escape.
"We know you're out there" a voice booms behind her and she turns to see the guards with their guns drawn, pointing them at her.
Anita knows she should be panicking, she knows she should retreat and give in. Go back to that life of complete and utter control. But Anita is smart, she is strong and most importantly she is determined. She pauses, thinks her plans over and takes a deep breath in. The girl nods, takes a few steps forwards, making the men point their guns down before she stops.
They trust her, they know she can't betray them now, she has been caught and she has no where to run to. But Anita is sneaky and these men are merely fools.
She turns and runs as fast as she can in the small gap before she jumps and feels herself being pulled down by gravity. The men point their guns, but she is already out of range, their bullets would do nothing. She feels herself fall further and further down before she gets a visual on the ground. It's a field below her, one of just grass but a field nonetheless. She pulls the cord and feels herself soar upwards before she continues to grow closer to the ground, letting herself brace for impact. She hits the ground harder than expected and feels herself being dragged along before she unclips the straps and she falls free. Her hair is a state, and her clothes are covered in mud now but she doesn't care. She stands and lets out a sigh as she realises she is free. She closes her eyes and breaths out happily before she hears footsteps behind her. She spins and pulls out her gun, pointing it at the soldiers who are stood there in uniforms she hasn't seen before. Had the red room sent people trained for runaways. She stared at the four people stood in front of her and shot a bullet at one, watching as it bounced off of their helmet, the word 'B15' now standing out to the girl. The woman made an advance towards her and Anita stepped back before she turned and started to run as fast as she could away from them.
"She's on the run, after her" the woman shouts. The girl feels her heart beating out of her chest as her feet hit the ground rapidly. She keeps going for as long as she can. Her thoughts are the only thing that keep her going. She thinks about the training room and the medical room and how she can't go back there, how she can't let them take this freedom from her again. She thinks about the little girl in the field and imagines she is chasing her again. But her brain is becoming fogged. She hasn't been this far without the protection of the other widows. She hasn't known this world when she is awake since she was four. So much has changed. So much is lost. She feels her legs give out and she falls, letting the tears fall down her face as she feels the pain in her head from all the new thoughts. She can't take it. It's so loud. She hears the footsteps behind her and attempts to drag herself forward along the ground before her arms are grabbed onto by two people. They yank her back and she starts kicking her legs harshly as she screams. The woman from earlier stands before her and looks at the girl. Her hair is matted and stuck to her face from all the sweat and her eyes are leaking hot tears.
"Please don't take me back there" she almost whimpers.
The woman knows who or what is sat before the group and nods at the men as they start to drag her back making her scream loudly. No one can hear her though and before she knows it, she has been dragged through a doorway and her escape is lost.

•••••

ANITA LENKOV: SIGNAL LOST

The words stare back at Dreykovs face almost tauntingly. She was a slippery one, the one he warned himself about. They had done multiple treatments on her and yet somehow she had managed to break free from it all. He couldn't send his widows after her, they would see how weak he was to let one of their best escape. He vowed to erase all memory of her, not that they would remember her anyways. Their brains had been so badly fried that all past memories would be lost within days. He looked back up to the screen in front of him and reached forwards for the keypad.

ANITA LENKOV: TERMINATE FILE?

The words blinked on the screen in front of him and he nodded. No one would remember her. He would delete her out of existence. She would have no where to go and it would only be a matter of time before she came crawling back to the red room. He could feel it deep in his blood. Killing was in her nature, she wouldn't get far without it.

ANITA LENKOV: FILE TERMINATED