n i n e

Anita was practically jogging to keep up with B-15 who had come to retrieve her from her cell for a last minute mission. She had managed to change back into her suit from earlier, having now been cleaned. She kept the jacket though, it felt like her.
They made their way into the main locker room and she saw Loki and Mobius already prepping. She watched as the Hunter walked over and grabbed weapons off of Loki before stuffing them in her locker and turning back to the team as the girl came to stand beside the God, feeling more confident around him now after reading about him for hours.
"Gather around for a briefing!" She calls and the rest of the team come to join them.
"Are you going to talk to me now?" Loki whispers to the girl and she turns upwards to face him.
"I have nothing to say to you" she whispers back before they go and stand in the circle where the rest of the team are waiting.
"Roxxcart is a vast superstore common to the era, it consists of a series of sprawling sections, including a large warehouse, this warehouse is being used by civilians as shelter trying to ride out the storm, remember this is a class ten apocalypse, while the variant shouldn't know we're coming, he could be hiding anywhere and should be considered hostile, so stay alert"
Anita stood still. Her body too scared to move. Nobody had told her storms would be involved, she had been scared of them since she was a child and an apocalypse would wipe her out. She wasn't cut out for what they were about to get into.
She feels a hand place itself on her shoulder and she flinched harshly before seeing Loki giving her a concerned look.
"Are you alright?"
"I'm fine"
She shakes him off. She doesn't need his protection. She just needs to use him to get out of here and then she doesn't have to deal with him again.
"Every time there is an attack, the variant steals a reset charge, he's planning something, we just don't know what, so keep an eye out for the missing charges and if you see a Loki, prune it!" She finishes.
"The bad Loki preferably" Their god of mischief says making the girl next to him smile briefly.
Mobius notices though. He knows she is struggling but he hopes she will start to trust the God. It will be good for both of them.

•••

Anita held her jacket above her head, eyes closed as she tried to protect herself from the storm. She felt herself shaking, tears threatening to pour out. She hated the feeling of being this scared. Loki could see her struggling. He wanted to be near her but did not know how she would react. His question was answered however when a crack of thunder was heard and she pushed herself into his side. He placed an arm around her back and at that moment, she did not care about the contact, she just needed the protection.
"Anything?" Mobius calls out once they're all together.
"Nothing yet, move out"
They all continue forward and make it into the superstore. Loki shakes himself and uses his magic to dry himself off, making Anita wish she too had powers that could help her shake the freezing feeling.
"The hell was that?" B-15 asks.
"That was me using magic to dry my clothes so I don't announce myself with squeaky footsteps like the rest of you" he snaps making the girl let go of him and take a step away.
His side felt empty. He wanted to pull her back and protect her but he wouldn't pry.
The lights flickered out above them and she let out a shaky breath, she had never felt so on edge before.
"Take both teams and sweep the storm shelter" B-15 instructs and the team walk off one way.
"Loki, Anita and I will go check out the green house, we'll meet.." Mobius starts as the three of them start walking.
"No" the woman cuts him off.
"No?"
"You go with D-90 and Anita, he stays with me"
"What are you? He's under my supervision"
"This is my field op Mobius, if he's not a threat-"
"Of course he's a threat!" Mobius says raising his voice.
"Do you not remember the time theatre? That's why I want him with me"
"You are more than welcome to go back to the TVA and litigate with Renslayer, but right now.."
"We're here! We're not going back, the variant is here!"
"Mobius, it's fine, it's fine, you can trust me, I understand I have to earn that so I will"
"Why is it always the people you can't trust that are always saying trust me?"
"Okay try to hold on to your time collar this time"
"Take care of Anita please" Loki adds before they can walk away making the girl look up at him in shock.
"Stay safe" he mouths to her and she takes a second before she nods and mouths it back before she turns on her heel and starts walking away with her group, looking back over her shoulder every so often, catching him doing the same to her.

•••

Anita timidly walked into the room where the customers were hiding along with Mobius at her side. She heard as children cried and felt her heart sink. The red room had taken so much from her and now these people were going to lose everything, everything she had missed out on. Love. Friends. A family.
"Check the bags for the reset charges" D-90 says sternly.
"You guys FEMA? National guard?" Someone starts asking them and the girl snaps her head up to see peoples faces staring at her.
"Could be any one of them" Mobius mutters.
"Well hey, if you got a copter or other transport, now is the time to use it" the man advises them as he gets closer.
"We got women and kids and that weather ain't playing"
"No I'm sorry we don't" Mobius replies bluntly, turning around to leave as the girl looks over all the children, wanting to hold them.
"Well how the heck did you get here?" He asks before D-90 pushes him back.
"Mobius please leave them, they're innocent and scared enough as it is" Anita tells him.
"They should be scared, they're about to die" the hunter says to her sadistically and she has to stop herself from going over and punching his jaw.
"Okay not of us" Mobius reminds him.
"Take it easy"
"Sir!" One of the minutemen advances.
"What is it?"

•••

Whilst the rest of her group started to check around the security room, Anita was left outside to look for the variant. As if she could do much. She was practically helpless but continued to stalk around the shop as if this person would magically present themselves to her and she would be able to take them away just like that.
She walks out quietly before she hears the sound of something hitting the ground. She doesn't know if she should hide or stay where she is. In her experience though, neither of those have ever helped in the past. Instead she runs towards the sound and finds Loki walking towards another body. She wonders if she should call on the rest of the team but stops herself before she can.
The variant is clearly stood in front of Loki and she doesn't know whether to be scared or relived. She watches as dainty hands reach up to pull their hood down and she sees a woman with short blonde hair stood in front of him.
"This isn't about you" she seethes at him.
"Right" Loki mutters before they both hear beeping coming from around them.
All the lights are suddenly shut off and the whole team including both Loki variants are plunged into darkness. She can't call for help. She is frozen.
She almost thinks she is saved when she sees the shelves light up next to them but that relief is short lived when she realises what is set up all around them. Reset charges start falling into voids much like the doors they have been walking through and Anita spins around as she watches them all disappear before her.
Red emergency lights come on and Anita is brought back into old dark memories and shuts her eyes trying to get it out of her head, dropping onto her knees. When she can finally force them open, she notices the variant has left through a time door, leaving Loki stood in front of her, staring at it.
He starts walking towards it and Anita stands up to look at him before hearing footsteps behind them.
"Loki, Loki wait!" Mobius calls making the girl turn to him.
"Anita!" She hears Loki on the other side and turns back to see his eyes practically begging her to come with him.
His hand is outstretched and she is torn. Mobius trusts her. He knows she won't betray them. He is her friend. She knows she is safe with him. But this man has been plaguing her dreams since she arrived. He is her saving grace. She can feel it any time he is near.
"Anita, don't move" the analyst shouts to her.
"Anita, it's okay" Loki shouts after him and she knows.
She knows where her loyalty lies now, what is good for her and what will save her. She turns to Mobius and he shakes his head. It is almost as if a stronger force has taken control of her mind.
"Forgive me" she whispers before she turns on her heel and runs towards the raven haired man.
A half smile, half smirk forms on his face as he sees her racing towards him. She is fighting the urge to turn around and is scared of the team behind her catching up and dragging her back to her cell. It is what motivates her. She keeps going until her hand makes contact with the mans and he rushes them through the door before it closes behind them. And in that moment they know. They know that they are at an understanding. They will trust each other, truly, deeply and completely.