Chapter Five

I made Oliver’s favorite dish that night. Short ribs, mashed potatoes, and steamed asparagus. I had all the lights dimmed down and lit candles gracing my little dinner table. I wanted everything to be perfect that night. My hair was pulled back in a messy bun and I had on a tight skinny blue dress that Oliver always complimented me on. My dangly earrings danced on either side of my face as I poured the wine in the glasses and set them on the table.

Minutes later Oliver arrived.

“Wow! What’s all this?” he smiled as I greeted him at the door with a kiss. I pulled back and gazed into his eyes.

“Just wanted to show you how much I appreciate you.” I cooed as I hugged him again. He hugged me back warmly. He smelled so great! “And...” I dragged him towards the table. “There’s something I wanted to talk to you about.” I explained as I took his coat and briefcase and sat him down at the table.

“Uh-oh.” He said worriedly. “Are you breaking up with me?” he looked up at me from the chair. I smiled down at him and held his face between my hands. I kissed him on the nose.

“No, Mr. Insecurity!” I laughed and sat on his lap. I wrapped my arms around his neck and looked into his eyes seriously. He laughed and smiled at me.

“Thank God!” he sighed. I stood up off his lap and kneeled down beside him. “Wh-what are you doing?” he asked hesitantly.

“Not what you think...” I explained. Oliver let out another sigh of relief. I grabbed his hands and looked up at him. “I do however want to ask you something.” I said mischievously. He looked at me quizzically.  He touched my face.

“Then what is it? What’s all the suspense about?” he smiled at me again. He pulled me back up on his lap and squeezed my ass. I giggled.

“Move in with me Ollie.” I said quietly as he and I gazed into each other’s eyes.  The soft look in his eyes turned to worry. It confused me.

“What is it Ollie?” I asked as I pulled away from him. He sat there quietly.

“Move in with you?” he asked a little more concerned than I expected. I stood up off his lap.

“That’s not the answer I was expecting.” I trailed off as I backed away. Oliver reached for me.

“Wait, no, that’s not what I meant. It’s just that I know this is a big decision for you, that’s all.” He grabbed my hand. “Come here babe.” He pulled me back to him and wrapped his arms around my waist and looked up at me. I was frowning. I didn’t like where this was going.

“I mean I know how cautious you are about our relationship and you’ve never wanted to push things to fast. I mean it’s only been eight months.”

“Why do I feel like you don’t want this.” I said angrily.

“Beautiful...” Oliver tried to reach for me again. “Why do you want to change things now? I like coming over.”